cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few bright spots from the game.........

1. We won by 20

2. Brandon Bradley played a hell of a game, he was looked like a shutdown corner out there. That pick he made was a great play, to bad it was called back. What a novel concept to get your head around and look for the ball when a guy is running a deep pattern on you. Scott Johnson and Brandon Howard need to learn how to do that.

3. Brett Denneys first quarter was about the most amazing thing I have ever seen out of a D-lineman. 5 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 tipped pass.

4. Austin Collie may have had 2 drops but he still had 8 catches for 132 yards and 2 tds.

5. The defensive forced 4 turnovers, had 13 tackles for loss for -55 yards, and 5 sacks.

Some not so bright spots.

1. Max Hall locked in on Collie and Pitta the whole game and made some horrible decisions.

2. The play calling was peculiar, shotgun formation inside handoff on first down. Shotgun formation inside hand off on second down. Now 3rd and long and hope we can get it with them dropping 8.

3. Jan Jorgensen should be pissed right now. He is not used like he should be. He lined up on 80% of the snaps today inside the guard basically playing a defensive tackle. When he lined up on the edge he was ferocious and had at least 4-5 qb hurries and was blowing up the lineman. When he lines up inside he was triple teamed, especially since BYU wasnt bringing a linebacker from the edge.

4. We looked like a Ken Schmidt defense the way we were attempting to tackle tonight. Enough said.

5. Mitch Payne has to make a 30 yard fieldgoal from the middle of the field.

(Justin Sorenson kicked a 67 yarder at halftime. He attempted one from 70 that was just short.)
Old 10-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
1. We won by 20

2. Brandon Bradley played a hell of a game, he was looked like a shutdown corner out there. That pick he made was a great play, to bad it was called back. What a novel concept to get your head around and look for the ball when a guy is running a deep pattern on you. Scott Johnson and Brandon Howard need to learn how to do that.

3. Brett Denneys first quarter was about the most amazing thing I have ever seen out of a D-lineman. 5 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 tipped pass.

4. Austin Collie may have had 2 drops but he still had 8 catches for 132 yards and 2 tds.

5. The defensive forced 4 turnovers, had 13 tackles for loss for -55 yards, and 5 sacks.

1. Max Hall locked in on Collie and Pitta the whole game and made some horrible decisions.

2. The play calling was peculiar, shotgun formation inside handoff on first down. Shotgun formation inside hand off on second down. Now 3rd and long and hope we can get it with them dropping 8.

3. Jan Jorgensen should be pissed right now. He is not used like he should be. He lined up on 80% of the snaps today inside the guard basically playing a defensive tackle. When he lined up on the edge he was ferocious and had at least 4-5 qb hurries and was blowing up the lineman. When he lines up inside he was triple teamed, especially since BYU wasnt bringing a linebacker from the edge.

4. We looked like a Ken Schmidt defense the way we were attempting to tackle tonight. Enough said.

(Justin Sorenson kicked a 67 yarder at halftime. He attempted one from 70 that was just short.)
Why isn't Sorenson our place kicker? I fear for the day when we have to bring in Payne to win a game for us. That blocked kick didn't look like it would have made it over our line had the guy not come in from the edge.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Payne's PAT's go through the lower third of the uprights.

Payne is awful, worse than his brother.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Another bright spot....we went up 34-0 then basically got bored.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
1. We won by 20

Agree with these points. I was very impressed with both Brett Denney, Brandon Bradley and Matt Putnam. Putnam made a couple of plays and looks like he will be capable of coming in and contributing over the next few years.

Collie it seems lacks concentration at times. It is frustrating, but despite that he is turning into one of the most dominant receivers that BYU has ever had. He runs crisp routes, and can make the tough catch. It's just those few mental blips that get frustrating. I think a few of Hall's struggles can be pinned on some drops early in the game. As a QB, you deliver a catchable ball and it gets dropped, you start to feel a little more pressure to put it even more on the money or squeeze it more into tight places. It was frustrating watching our offense struggle to get into a solid rhythm. Of course, when you score 24 points in the first quarter and have the ball for a total of 3 and a half minutes, it probably is tough to get into any sort of rhythm.

Also, the playcalling was a bit weird. It also seemed like Utah State is the first team to catch on to some of Anae's tendancies. They didn't fall for our line-up in the I formation play action pass that is predictable but everybody bites on. You have to give some credit to Utah State; they came prepared and played a pretty good game. I did also find it funny that Utah State tried a lot of the same things that Washington was successful with against BYU with no luck. USU's QB, you are not Jake Locker. USUs WRs, you do not have the speed of Washington's WRs. I do think that we see some similar things again from teams that might be more capable (Utah, TCU).

David Nixon last night played a pretty good game. He forced a nice fumble early, and had a nice INT. There were a couple of times when he had a chance to absolutely light up USUs QB and he took a poor angle and missed. He got a bit of pressure, but misjudged it enough that he missed the sack. This is more along the lines of the performance I thought that we would see from Nixon this year.

And speaking of QB pressure, it seems like it has been forever since Jorgensen has had a sack. I'm sure part of it is the fact that he is almost always double teamed, and a lot of the time this results in another guy being able to put pressure on the QB.

Payne is also struggling. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sorenson take over the kicking duties... and soon. I think Bronco has tried to keep Payne's psyche up, especially not knowing if Sorenson is mission bound or not (I haven't heard either way) as it would be awful to mess up Payne mentally even more so, and then have JS leave on a mission and next year we are stuck with Payne as our kicker with a mental problem. But if there is a game that is close and we need to hit a kick to win it, I'm not sure I'd put my money on Payne.

All in all, after the first quarter it wasn't much of a game to watch on either side. You take the win, but this is why I hate playing USU to begin with. Nothing good comes from it. BYU wins like they should and it is a ho-hum victory. We struggle and it's even worse. We lose and all hell breaks lose.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got news for you. Payne already has a mental problem.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
And speaking of QB pressure, it seems like it has been forever since Jorgensen has had a sack. I'm sure part of it is the fact that he is almost always double teamed, and a lot of the time this results in another guy being able to put pressure on the QB.
The crazy thing about Jorgensen I looked at his numbers from last year and he only had 3 sacks through 6 games.