cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just watched the game

last 3 quarters that I recorded.

Utah vs. Alabama.

I'm really proud of how Utah represented the MWC.

I'm glad that the BCS is further exposed as a farce. I'm glad that Utah pierced the media lies of BCS superiority.

As a (marginal) BYU fan, I have to say, there is a tall mountain to climb here, getting back to the top of the MWC.

Kyle Whittingham > Bronco Mendenhall. And right now, it's not even close.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I should add that this is the greatest performance by a non-BCS team in a BCS bowl, hands-down.

Not the best game. BSU was the best game. But the best performance.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Oh yeah, the cherry on top was Barry Switzer, Okie white-trash idiot, making a complete ass of himself.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Amen, brother. I've always thought you were wise beyond your years.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I agree, Utah did exceptionally well. Non-BCS is now, what, 3-1 in BCS bowls?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah did it with an expected business model. It is not from a large media market, does not have natural access to speedy, talented athletes, is often not the first choice for local athletes, but Whittingham has intelligently worked his system to his advantage.

He's in a conference where it is easy to stand out, he recruits kids just missed by the higher profile programs, has enough Church connection to get good dedicated kids, but not too Churchy that they turn their backs on hard work and becoming excellent in something. It's a difficult business model, but BYU if it had a better vision for excellence could emulate Utah and in some respects surpass it. But Bronco is not near the game coach Whit is, not even close.

Utah with Whit is a great big game team. Utah may be defeated if and when its talent simply doesn't match up, but it will always come ready, prepared to play under Whit. In small games, they may lose their focus.

Utah played a game to be proud of. It showed TCU and BYU that with proper game management, both programs can better the snobby schools. Hats off to Whit, whom I always wanted for BYU.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Utah did it with an expected business model. It is not from a large media market, does not have natural access to speedy, talented athletes, is often not the first choice for local athletes, but Whittingham has intelligently worked his system to his advantage.

He's in a conference where it is easy to stand out, he recruits kids just missed by the higher profile programs, has enough Church connection to get good dedicated kids, but not too Churchy that they turn their backs on hard work and becoming excellent in something. It's a difficult business model, but BYU if it had a better vision for excellence could emulate Utah and in some respects surpass it. But Bronco is not near the game coach Whit is, not even close.

Utah with Whit is a great big game team. Utah may be defeated if and when its talent simply doesn't match up, but it will always come ready, prepared to play under Whit. In small games, they may lose their focus.

Utah played a game to be proud of. It showed TCU and BYU that with proper game management, both programs can better the snobby schools. Hats off to Whit, whom I always wanted for BYU.
Just one curiosity: is that what you think it means to be "churchy"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

What is the "Church connection" with Brian Johnson, Matt Asiata, David Reed, Sean Smith, Richard Johnson, Fred Brown, Brent Casteel, and Louie Sakoda?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This may be the first time that I have really seen a top-tier BCS team look absolutely out-athleted. Not out-smarted. Not out-schemed. Out-athleted.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What is the "Church connection" with Brian Johnson, Matt Asiata, David Reed, Sean Smith, Richard Johnson, Fred Brown, Brent Casteel, and Louie Sakoda?
Matt Asiata is LDS. By not living here, you missed out on the fun when Asiata talked about praying and receiving an answer to play at Utah.

There is a huge church connection for Utah. It's ok to accept that, SU.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote