cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 freshmen going on missions

They are all leaving beginning of january, and will all be allowed to return in December, before the Holidays. (and most importantly, will be able to enroll for the Winter semester). A special dispensation. I understand that our two freshmen DL starters/contributors are among the 17.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They are all leaving beginning of january, and will all be allowed to return in December, before the Holidays. (and most importantly, will be able to enroll for the Winter semester). A special dispensation. I understand that our two freshmen DL starters/contributors are among the 17.

Where did you read this? Link?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Insider information. Human to Human. You can take it to the bank.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Insider information. Human to Human. You can take it to the bank.
k thanks. I was just interested in reading more detail on it.

By the two contributing defenders do you mean Dulan and Tonga? My understanding was that Dulan was only 17, so he couldn't leave in January unelss they changed the rules. I'm most interested in this concept of them all leaving together in January and coming home in December. I like the organized approach to it, but I would think that birthdays would dictate that it wouldn't go down like that. That would be sweet if the brethren made a new rule for freshmen athletes (BYU only of course) that they could leave on their mish Jan after frosh year no matter their age.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I was told that it was two starters on offense, and two starters on defense. McKay would be one of them. Perhaps "starters" is loosely defined.

I have no idea about Dulan or about age issues. But I am told they are leaving as a group, these 17, in January.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
I was told that it was two starters on offense, and two starters on defense. McKay would be one of them. Perhaps "starters" is loosely defined.

I have no idea about Dulan or about age issues. But I am told they are leaving as a group, these 17, in January.
Probably Hague is the other reference to offensive "starter". I'm not surprised about sending 17 (or at least a bunch) on missions, but all in January is the intriguing part to me, since I'm sure many of those will turn 19 after Jan, thus the question of whether or not this is a new exception by the brethren for athletes.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Probably Hague is the other reference to offensive "starter". I'm not surprised about sending 17 (or at least a bunch) on missions, but all in January is the intriguing part to me, since I'm sure many of those will turn 19 after Jan, thus the question of whether or not this is a new exception by the brethren for athletes.
I doubt there is such an exception for athletes. And I know that the Church has changed recently in its policy in regards to sending missionaries home before the holidays as they used to.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

one of my companions on my mission was supposed to go home beginning of December. Without asking his family, he extended his mission. He wrote them of his decision. MP pulled strings to get him extended. After 3 or 4 weeks of no return letter, he finally got the inkling that perhaps his family was pissed off. He then asked the MP to cancel his extension. The exasperated MP then said "No more extensions."
Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

The players you refer to are Matangi Tonga, Romney Fuga, McKay Jacobsen, and probably Mike Hague and/or Ryan Freeman. Freeman has got quite a bit of playing time for a true Freshman Offensive Lineman.

Ian Dulan is too young to go on a mission and will be playing next year.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am guessing after byu goes to the vegas bowl only about 3/4 of them will be going?