cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And the Republicans have taken a 3-point lead in the generic Congressional poll.

The party now is not so different from what it was in 2004, except it now has no public face (normal, when a party just lost the White House with no clear successor). Conservatives didn't kick Specter out of the party. He left it, a long time ago actually.
If you want to hang your hat on the generic congressional poll, feel free. Just keep repeating to yourself "everything is fine with the Republican Party, there is no cause for alarm."

You are right that the party isn't "so different" than the party in 2004. The only real difference is that the 2004 party pretended to care about moderates (for electoral purposes), whereas this party doesn't pretend to care at all. Frankly, I like this version much more. It ensures they won't take back any control anytime in the near future.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But they are against the other things I mentioned?
Who knows. Depends on who you talk to. I thought we were talking about the Republicans. But none of the things on your list are the first things Libertarians would go after. But no worries, there are no libertarians in the GOP anymore. They've been pretty much cleansed in this purification movement.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-29-2009 at 04:45 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If you want to hang your hat on the generic congressional poll, feel free. Just keep repeating to yourself "everything is fine with the Republican Party, there is no cause for alarm."
I didn't say that either. I simply don't think your cataclysmic view represents reality.

Quote:
You are right that the party isn't "so different" than the party in 2004. The only real difference is that the 2004 party pretended to care about moderates (for electoral purposes), whereas this party doesn't pretend to care at all. Frankly, I like this version much more. It ensures they won't take back any control anytime in the near future.
Except that it's leading 2008 presidential candidate for a time (Guiliani) and its eventual candidate were both moderates.

I'm not too worried about the change in power ... the pendulum always swings, and the Democrats are thankfully a self-correcting group. They dig their own grave about as fast as Republicans do.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Democrats road a tidal wave in to power by not being George Bush. Their public face is a gifted speaker. They are getting a pass from most media not named Fox (who is not trusted as being fair and balanced).

The message of the election was change, change, change. Now we are getting change. It may have been a good idea to really think about the changes that were going to happen.

It is certainly a change to leave the frying pan for the warmth of the fire.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
Democrats road a tidal wave in to power by not being George Bush. Their public face is a gifted speaker.
Well, he's gifted as long as he has a teleprompter.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #36
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I didn't say that either. I simply don't think your cataclysmic view represents reality.

Except that it's leading 2008 presidential candidate for a time (Guiliani) and its eventual candidate were both moderates.

I'm not too worried about the change in power ... the pendulum always swings, and the Democrats are thankfully a self-correcting group. They dig their own grave about as fast as Republicans do.
Once again, Glenn, McCain is precisely the reason the party is sick and tired of the moderates right now. There are many on the right who still believe that if a Huckabee/Romney were the nominee, they would have won, but the party "abandoned" its principles by going with a McCain (and by considering a Giuliani). They are fixing that "problem" by alienating everyone who has a hint of moderate in them. That's what happens when you put Rush in charge.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
Tex

Quote:
Once again, Glenn, McCain is precisely the reason the party is sick and tired of the moderates right now. There are many on the right who still believe that if a Huckabee/Romney were the nominee, they would have won, but the party "abandoned" its principles by going with a McCain (and by considering a Giuliani). They are fixing that "problem" by alienating everyone who has a hint of moderate in them. That's what happens when you put Rush in charge.
What happens when Rush is "in charge" is 1994 and 2002. Here's hoping the party finally returns to Reagan conservatism.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #38
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, he's gifted as long as he has a teleprompter.
To each is given a gift. Some have the gift of writing speeches, others have the gift of reading them.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #39
Tex

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #40
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dang, Team Bush screwed things up worse than anybody else had imagined! Unemployment's been worse than even the Obama team predicted!