cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default iPODs

During my break yesterday I walked over to the Apple Store in The Gateway.

I've never had an Ipod, and am looking at getting one.

I know NOTHING about them and which one to get. Would you suggest a regular sized one or a Nano?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

What do you want to use it for. This makes all the difference, IMO.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I just got my first one two weeks ago.

I got the nano because it's better for running (or so I hear). I LOVE it. Very good. I had friends recommend to go with the most gigs possible. I only anticipate using mine for workouts so I didn't need so much space, though.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Sizzle is exactly right...it all depends on what you want from your IPOD. If you want to go running with it, the nano and the shuffle are good choices. I love my shuffle but it has no screen so you have no control over what song is coming up next (though you can skip songs when you want). The nano is little (not as small as the shuffle which is basically just a small clip on) and is good for running as well.

If you plan on downloading shows or music videos, then the IPOD Video is what you need to get. I was never an IPOD guy until we go the 80gb Video and the Shuffle this winter and I love them.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

For example, if I was traveling, or going to be using the iPod primarily at work, I'd go with the full iPod. The ability to watch video on it is awesome.

But if you are using it for the gym and work, I'd go for the Nano (8 gb) and get the Nike + system as well. That is, if you run.

Either way, it's not like there is a 'bad' choice. I've had some struggles with the hard drive on my iPod Photo, but I believe they've been fixed in the new videos. I've been able to take it in to the Apple Store though and they've fixed it or given me a new (refurbished) one every time (although now the warranty is up, so I'd be screwed).

Anyways, feel free to boardmail me if you have other questions you may not want to ask in a forum and I'll give advice.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest the 4GB nano. Pink seems to fit you Rocky.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Depends.

I bought the biggest one you can get about a year ago that does video, etc. A couple of times since I have thought about getting a Nano for exercise or have used by wife's.

The problem is that I have a lot of music and I want it all available to me on the same Ipod. Even the biggest Nano's don't have enough space for my library.

What I ended up doing was getting a workout case for it from Marware and just take the big one when I exercise. This brings up another point, however. I can get away with this because I use an elipticle machine which allows be to either set it down or strap it to my arm without too muhc bounce. The big ones use a standard hard drive type device that theoretically can skip if they are bounced enough. The Nano's use a flash drive which has no moving parts and won't be bothered by even the most intense bouncing.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What I ended up doing was getting a workout case for it from Marware and just take the big one when I exercise. This brings up another point, however. I can get away with this because I use an elipticle machine which allows be to either set it down or strap it to my arm without too muhc bounce. The big ones use a standard hard drive type device that theoretically can skip if they are bounced enough. The Nano's use a flash drive which has no moving parts and won't be bothered by even the most intense bouncing.
Yup, that's right. If you do any jogging/running where there is a lot of bouncing, it's not good for the iPod. The Nano is perfect for that... also with the Nike + it's even better.

Like I said, it really depends on what you want to use it for. I am in a bit of a similar situation as Utah Dan as I have a 60 GB Photo just about maxed out with Music. There isn't a nano that has enough space for all of my music. However, I LOVE the Nano (I bought one for my wife when we got married and they had just BARELY came out) and I use it as much as she does. If I were buying just one iPod, I would have a tough time deciding between the 8GB nano and the 80 gb Video.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'd like to use one for working out, but also if there's a way to find an adapter to use it in my car as well that would be great.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'd like to use one for working out, but also if there's a way to find an adapter to use it in my car as well that would be great.
There are car adaptors and I have tried several and found them all to be marginal. They broadcast on FM and while it is okay, its not great. What you really need is a car that already had the adaptor or to get an aftermarket stereo that has one. The adaptor will be an absolutel requirement on my next vehicle.