cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This type of site is nauseating

as it's an attack site, on multiple faiths.

The information is better organized, but it's one of the type of sites, that gives apologia a good name.

http://www.irr.org/

Southerton is one of their headliners. I guess the antis pay better.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Isn't is odd that these supposed followers of Christ would be so invested in tearing down the faith of other would be disciples?

Just because the ideas of another, who loves and worships Christ, are not in conformance with my perception and modes of expression, why would I spend an iota of energy finding fault?

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
Isn't is odd that these supposed followers of Christ would be so invested in tearing down the faith of other would be disciples?

Just because the ideas of another, who loves and worships Christ, are not in conformance with my perception and modes of expression, why would I spend an iota of energy finding fault?
I always think the same thing when I read all the Huckabee bashing on this site and CB.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I always think the same thing when I read all the Huckabee bashing on this site and CB.
Please tell me you did not just say that.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Please tell me you did not just say that.
Do you really think people bash Huckabee because of his politics and not because of his evangelical support base? Mormons hate Huckabee because his particular religious delusions do not coincide with their own religious delusions.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you really think people bash Huckabee because of his politics and not because of his evangelical support base? Mormons hate Huckabee because his particular religious delusions do not coincide with their own religious delusions.
I don't care for Huckabee because he takes cheap shots at Romney and injected Christian vs. Mormon into the race. He can't shut up about Romney's money. And he's an idiot on just about everything.

I've spent my life working and interacting with Evangelicals, getting along with the vast majority. Please spare me the suggestion that my dislike for Huckabee is religion based. It's when they start to challenge my beliefs that I tire of them. Huckabee qualifies in this respect.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I don't care for Huckabee because he takes cheap shots at Romney and injected Christian vs. Mormon into the race. He can't shut up about Romney's money. And he's an idiot on just about everything.

I've spent my life working and interacting with Evangelicals, getting along with the vast majority. Please spare me the suggestion that my dislike for Huckabee is religion based. It's when they start to challenge my beliefs that I tire of them. Huckabee qualifies in this respect.
I think this sums up my position, more or less. I'd have thought non sequitur smart enough to pick up on the nuance.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
It's no different than your revealing and angry, bitter bashing of Mormons and the Church.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Please spare me the suggestion that my dislike for Huckabee is religion based. It's when they start to challenge my beliefs that I tire of them. Huckabee qualifies in this respect.
You say that your dislike is not religion-based, and then you say you dislike him because he challenges your beliefs? I'm confused. Which is it?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think this sums up my position, more or less. I'd have thought non sequitur smart enough to pick up on the nuance.
I recognize the nuance, I simply don't believe people when they say it has nothing to do with religion. Huckabee is a dork, without a question. But he's a harmless dork. The amount of vitriol slung at the guy cannot be explained by his politic positions. Hell, people around here are cutting Hillary more slack than Huckabee. How do you explain that?