cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's unfortunate that it's come down to what I understand is an unconstitutional religious test, but that's the way it is.
How is choosing not to vote for somebody based on their religion unconstitutional?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
How is choosing not to vote for somebody based on their religion unconstitutional?
It's not unconstitutional to choose not vote for someone based on their religious affiliation, but it's my understanding that any sort of religious test for a candidate is unconstitutional. That is, it's unconstitutional to ask if someone would or wouldn't vote for a particular person because of their religion.

I could be wrong though.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's not unconstitutional to choose not vote for someone based on their religious affiliation, but it's my understanding that any sort of religious test for a candidate is unconstitutional. That is, it's unconstitutional to ask if someone would or wouldn't vote for a particular person because of their religion.

I could be wrong though.
No, it means the government can't prohibit a person from running for an office based on their religion. Such religious tests were commonplace immediately after the founding. The Constitution only prohibited such tests for the federal government; states were left free to impose whatever restrictions they wanted (and most of them did for decades). The 14th Amendment really changed the structure of the Constitution in this regard to prohibit states from imposing religious tests (through the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment).

Mitt Romney has extrapolated that this means people shouldn't be concerned about his religion because the Constitution isn't. People are free to ask him about it whenever they want to, and they can refuse to vote for him for any reason whatsoever.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No, it means the government can't prohibit a person from running for an office based on their religion. Such religious tests were commonplace immediately after the founding. The Constitution only prohibited such tests for the federal government; states were left free to impose whatever restrictions they wanted (and most of them did for decades). The 14th Amendment really changed the structure of the Constitution in this regard to prohibit states from imposing religious tests (through the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment).

Mitt Romney has extrapolated that this means people shouldn't be concerned about his religion because the Constitution isn't. People are free to ask him about it whenever they want to, and they can refuse to vote for him for any reason whatsoever.
Ok, thanks for the correct explanation.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yeah, it was me.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...89&postcount=8

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2547718

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, though!

The numbers today are awful for McCain. His hopes are fading fast. Giuliani performed better than I expected, but I still can't fathom him winning the nomination as a Republican. Republicans would really have to abandon their most core elements to support him.

I think the race is Romney's to lose. The only figures that matter are these: leading polls of party insiders and members of the RNC; and winning the money race. Romney is ahead in both categories.

Obama's numbers are what I am most excited about. I still don't know if he can beat Hillary, but I am excited to hear what his dollar amount is. I hear from Drudge it is in the $20 million range. If true, he is going to give Hillary all she can handle.

What I know for sure: this will be a miserable television year. All of this money means one thing- lots of television ads. We will be pummeled with negative ads before you know it, and the non-profits will be anxious to throw their "message" out there too. Good thing for Tivo! Skip all the commercials.
You've been pretty spot on with your observations, so another question for you; do you think any of the money will be spent on ads that will include anit-Mormon ideas?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
You've been pretty spot on with your observations, so another question for you; do you think any of the money will be spent on ads that will include anit-Mormon ideas?
I bet that a lot of issue advocacy money will brush the edge of anti-Mormonism. I also would not be surprised to see some "unauthorized" people from one campaign or another putting out something that goes over the edge into anti- territory. The campaign can then retract, but the point will have been made. Just my two cents.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Not directly from the candidates- that would shock me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a few with anti-Mormon hints sponsored by 501(c)(3) organizations, though.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote