cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If I could make the rules, I wouldn't allow corproations to be sued for the actions of their employees.
LOL. That means if you were king corporations couldn't be sued for anything. I don't think a filing with the division of corporations or inanimate capital or good will can commit torts without intervention of the employees.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I know this may sound cruel, but just how stupid can these people be? That's just amazing.
I think the jury that aquitted the guy pretending to be the cop and who started the whole thing shared your reaction.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
LOL. That means if you were king corporations couldn't be sued for anything. I don't think a filing with the division of corporations or inanimate capital or good will can commit torts without intervention of the employees.
I suppose I'm just not familiar enough with the law to be clear. I don't have a problem with corporations being sued. They should be if they are doing things like poisioning driking water, monopolizing business opportunities, etc. I'm just stating that in a situation like this particular one, where is individual accountability?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 AM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I suppose I'm just not familiar enough with the law to be clear. I don't have a problem with corporations being sued. They should be if they are doing things like poisioning driking water, monopolizing business opportunities, etc. I'm just stating that in a situation like this particular one, where is individual accountability?
I'm just pulling your leg. I know your word choice was a little careless is all. Corporations are literally "persons" under the law, so they have constitutional rights, can be convicted of crimes, pay taxes, are subject to suit, etc. But they of course are incapable of doing anything bad or good except through employees. But I see what you mean. In fact, the law already is more or less as you would have it. McDonalds will have a multitude of defenses including lack of foreseeablility, the employee acted beyond the scope of employement, superseding cause, etc. baseed on the common sense notion that no one could have anticipated and guarded against these exceptionally stupid people engaging in this bizarre behavior that had nothing to do with why McDonald's had them on the premises.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm just pulling your leg. I know your word choice was a little careless is all. Corporations are literally "persons" under the law, so they have constitutional rights, can be convicted of crimes, pay taxes, are subject to suit, etc. But they of course are incapable of doing anything bad or good except through employees. But I see what you mean. In fact, the law already is more or less as you would have it. McDonalds will have a multitude of defenses including lack of foreseeablility, the employee acted beyond the scope of employement, superseding cause, etc. baseed on the common sense notion that no one could have anticipated and guarded against these exceptionally stupid people engaging in this bizarre behavior that had nothing to do with why McDonald's had them on the premises.
I kind of figured you were giving me a bit of a hard time. No worries.

I appreciate the explanation. Thanks much.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote