cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #61
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
I don't think Mormons will get very far on this issue until they stop seeing it as an issue of "emphasis" and start seeing it as an issue of how grace (or merit or "worthiness") systematically fits into a larger coherent theological worldview.
This is real dialogue that might lead to something interesting. Intentionally misrepresenting and manipulating by barraging us with selected quotes from thousands and thousands of pages of past LDS sermons is lame.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Archaea, would you like to take a stab at explaining how the following quote could possibly ever be theologically justified by any sort of context?

If you can't, just keep insulating.
I don't have the JD here to read the context, dildo.

Under your interpretation, it shouldn't matter because all I must do is believe and I'm saved, no matter whom I hump because what I do doesn't matter. So if what I do doesn't matter, leave me alone. Evangelicals are asses as they crap on the floor of another man. No wonder the world loathes them and they drive people away from Christ. You deconvert more people from Christ than Hitler. Sieg Heil!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #63
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Meanwhile the Shiites and the Suni's are still going at it too.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #64
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

AShaf: if you want to have real dialogue, tell us where you stand that is materially different from the following.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...____&hideNav=1

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...____&hideNav=1

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/b.../grace_eom.htm

Last edited by jay santos; 01-31-2008 at 04:24 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #65
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Archaea, would you like to take a stab at explaining how the following quote could possibly ever be theologically justified by any sort of context?

It seems to be talking about people getting what they deserve, if they don't apply the atonement or if the atonement is added in...we all do, don't we?

What I don't get is the purpose of your quote string. Why don't you state your purpose and then I'll decide how much time and attention to give you.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #66
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Insulation? And all this time I thought you were an attorney.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #67
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
There's not a single thing in there that you would disagree with if you were honest with yourself. Believing that God values belief is no different in principle than believing that God values works. In both cases, you have to comply with God's priorities in order to be saved.

As I said before, it makes sense to believe in a religion that absolves you from all but the tiniest responsibility, but trying to denigrate the beliefs of those who assume that God would want a little bit more from his people seems terribly counterproductive. If all God requires is belief, then both religions are fine, since neither religion has much of a clue on the specifics and nitpicking is pointless and petty. If God requires anything more than that, you're effed.

Your belief that Mormons worship "the wrong Jesus" is not only hypocritical since you know so very little about Jesus and everything else, but also flat-out wrong, since the Mormon interpretation is no less likely to be accurate than anyone else's.
You gotta love aashaf. He even causes our apostate friends to circle the wagons and defend the faith.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #68
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You gotta love aashaf. He even causes our apostate friends to circle the wagons and defend the faith.
It's because aashaf is a zealot. Religion is generally pretty harmless, unless you're dealing with guys like aashaf. The dude is a jihadist for Christ.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #69
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It's because aashaf is a zealot. Religion is generally pretty harmless, unless you're dealing with guys like aashaf. The dude is a jihadist for Christ.
That reminds me off the time I went into a guys office in here because I wanted the perspective of a guy who really dislikes mormons. When I said I wanted that perspective, he said who said I really dislike mormons.

I told him I figured he did because of some of the things he said. He said no, I really dislike zealot mormons. I also dislike zealots of any religion.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #70
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"[E]very man and woman will receive all that they are worthy of, and something thrown in perhaps on the score of the boundless charity of God. But who can justly expect to obtain more than they merit?" - Joseph F. Smith, Journal of Discourses, 26 vols., 20:, p.30
Quote:
I don't have the JD here to read the context...

Under your interpretation, it shouldn't matter because all I must do is believe and I'm saved, no matter whom I hump because what I do doesn't matter.
Here is the context:

http://scripturesbeta.byu.edu/jod/jo...vol=20&disc=04

Achaea, it sounds like you haven't taken the time to understand basic mainstream evangelical doctrine on grace and salvation. I'd encourage you to read a summary starting here:

http://www.theopedia.com/Salvation#Man.27s_condition
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote