cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Bruneel, Contador and Levi to Astana?

Here's a little clip from the weekly RBR newsletter:

Quote:
Johan Bruyneel appears to be this close to taking a top job with Kazakhstan's beleaguered Team Astana. The 43-year-old mastermind of eight Tour de France victories for U.S. Postal and Discovery Channel had declared retirement after Disco announced its disbanding. Although Astana fired three top riders for doping, Bruyneel is said to be bringing plenty of firepower with him, including Tour de France winner Alberto Contador and third-place Levi Leipheimer. Contador's contract reportedly will be worth 3 million euros over two seasons. Several other ex-Disco riders are expected to make the move too, along with a number of staff members. Sources close to Bruyneel told velonews.com that the Belgian is finalizing negotiations for a three-year contact with the Kazakh government and will assume control within weeks. He is on record saying that if he joins Astana he wants a managerial role with less travel rather than the position of primary team director.
I'm not sure what to think. I've grown to think the whole Astana team is crooked. Needless to say, Levi now a officially a Bruneel disciple if this happens.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

DId you see the article where the rep of astana says Contador is not invited? Something strange is going on here. Bike racing has always been a little odd, but in these superchraged dasy of dopers it is even strnager. Weird stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 10-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Thats a pretty funny link. In my head, I picture Contador giving a press conference saying, "Yes, I will be joining my good friend and mentor Johan Bruneel next year with Team Astana." Meanwhile, in the background, this Astana guy is wildly waving his arms and silently making the words with his lips, "No way! No chance in hades! Absolutely not!" And then Contador looks back to see what everyone is sniggering about and the guy looks at the ceiling whistling, twiddling his thumbs.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Thats a pretty funny link. In my head, I picture Contador giving a press conference saying, "Yes, I will be joining my good friend and mentor Johan Bruneel next year with Team Astana." Meanwhile, in the background, this Astana guy is wildly waving his arms and silently making the words with his lips, "No way! No chance in hades! Absolutely not!" And then Contador looks back to see what everyone is sniggering about and the guy looks at the ceiling whistling, twiddling his thumbs.
LOL