cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

We've got some serious LDS scholars on this board. There are others (at least me) who would like to learn.

However, some of us may not know where to start, particularly if there are certain subjects that catch our interest.

There's the Bushman book and "Misquoting Jesus" that have been addressed significantly, but it might be helpful if some of the more studied could identify some good starting points on the various areas of LDS scholarship. For instance, I enjoyed Misquoting Jesus, and I will likely seek out more books by that author. But I don't know where to go from there. I'd like to read more about Old Testament scholarship, but I don't read Greek or Hebrew, or whatever language the older transcripts are in. I've seen references to Latter-day history (i.e. the Bushman biography and others that are out or are coming out), but with limited time and so many books out there, I'd like to avoid the books that are not worth the time.

Also, with the unevenness of LDS scholarship, it's hard to discern who are the good LDS scholars, and who are the posers.

Maybe those who consider themselves well-versed in LDS scholarship can share some of the "must-reads" for a novice LDS scholar. I'd bet there are others beside me who feel a little behind in this area.

(I'm not limiting this to particular viewponts - both apostates and mullahs are welcome to share, as far as I'm concerned )

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote