cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Too bad voyeurism doens't qualify; Given how well

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Outlier took Catblue's comments about first publication rights, I can only imagine how amusing it might be when they started to critique each other's work. The truth is, however, that I spend far too much of my day editing legal writing to really want to edit or review more writing, even good creative writing, in the evening. Moreover, I think the law has beaten any real creativity out of my writing, although I suppose I feel like I could still offer "big picture" ideas and comments on analytical writing. Besdies, I certainly wouldn't want the fact that my eyes were added to the forum to casue Outlier to lose any lucrative publishing opportunities.

When will we get a spell-checker? Do I need to buy more books?
If your skin is thin you aren't cut out for such groups and wouldn't get much out of them. Much of the process involves the writer discerning what he should take to heart and what to ignore, and quite a bit fits into the latter category. Particularly with more extended or complex works, only the author fully comprehends his vision. Still, critique from a perspective outside the author's head can be helpful. And there's usually not an occasion for being defensive. Sometimes a moderator whose views are widely respected (such as a published author or professional writing teacher) can perform the function of recongnizing and responding to unfair or gratuitous criticisms or attacks.

In any event, nobody expects "editing"; what's more helpful is insight from the perspective of the theoretical audience, the reader.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #42
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I understand the point you are making; but reading critically is the prelude to editing and last night, when I typed that from my office after having spent the better part of 6 hours trying to resurrect someone else's brief that probably should have been left for dead, the thought of spending more time doing any part of the editing process was very unappealing.

Being afflicted with what my wife calls lawyer's disease, and others might refer to as arrogance or an inflated sense of the worht of my own intellect, I believe I could certainly offer many useful comments to authors. OTOH, I do not write much outside of work, and certainly nothing that I intend to publish, as do the other members of this nascent group. Thus, while I might offer some insight to others, the primary benefit I would derive would be the enjoyment from the proffered content and the NASCAR-fan-like expectation of a clash between strong and opinonated personalities. Of course, this means I am exactly what Outlier says should not be present; a memebr of the general reading audience.

So, as much as the 12 year old within hates to be excluded from any club, I guess it just isn't for me.

Of course, I just know you guys are going to put all your best posts there.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just looked at my last post, I think I could use a good editor.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote