cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
VAX77

VAX77

Did his wife ever nag him....

On a more serious note, there is a lot of speculation as to whether he was married or not. To me, I have to say, I would like to know, but it does not change my beliefs or testimony either way. It is interesting however, because of centuries of intertwined ancient greek teachings of plato and others into christian teachings, many beleive that the "physical" is evil and that the purest form is "spirit". Thats why people would have such a hard time with Jesus being married (and therefore involved in intimacy) and thats also why most do not beleive in a physical God. Just read the roman catholic catechism and many others. God is a spirit without form, shape, etc. to them. We know differently. Also, the term seven degrees of heaven or 7th Heaven, refers to the degrees away from the earth that gradually became less phsyical and more "pure" in form, eventually leading to the supreme being, god, or whoever, that was without any physical form. Conversely, the center of the earth was viewed as the center and most physical place in the universe, and thus, it was most evil. Thats why we point down for hell and up for heaven. It has carried over to our thought process to. In reality, we could probably just say "around us", couldnt we.

I think the neoplatonic thought that has affected so much of christian doctrine has also permeated the lds culture, in that we still teach that sex and intimacy are evil for much of our lives, until the wedding night. I know this has been stated and discussed before, but I thought that it is interesting to really look at the origins(at least one of the possible origins). I think families need to be instructing children that intimacy is beautiful and amazing and that it should be left for one person because of how special it is, etc instead of you are going to hell for any transgressions. It is just human nature to react the way we do when we are told it is that bad and then also human nature for many to feel guilty when they are allowed to have a free pass, ie marriage.
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote