cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

guys, having a few technical problems due to lack of html allowed in posts here. I'm working on it. I'll let you guys know when I've got it figured out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ok, now figured out, at least a temporary solution. Go HERE to buy the book, which is the same as:

http://cougarguard.com/books.htm
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #13
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amen on the DOM recommendation.

I bought it yesterday at the U of U bookstore (I didn't know about the Cougarguard sponsor thing until just now) yesterday and am halfway through the thing. The discussions concerning free agency, blacks and the priesthood and other issues have been fascinating.

It's funny that the first religion thread I reviewed on this Board concerned the Church's 1982 statement on oral sex (thanks Archaea), which dovetails well with the Blacks and the Priesthood discussion in the DOM book. Note that the 1982 statement refers to the oral sex stance as "the First Presidency's interpretation." They were very careful not to state it was doctrine or a direct revelation from the Lord; a good thing, since the statement died a quick death with little fanfare within weeks after it was released. It was read to me as part of the temple recommend interview (which I passed while performing a lawyerlike interpretation in my head).

Similarly, DOM and others were very careful never to refer to the Blacks/Priesthood prohibition as "doctrine" or the will of the Lord. Rather, he cited it as Church policy that could be changed in the future. Unfortunately, it took longer than I would have liked.

Anyway, read the book. It's the best Church history book I've read in at least a decade.

And I suppose I should be embarrassed that my first post on this site concerns cunnilingus and fellatio. Thanks again, Archaea.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anything for a buddy

and yes the book looks fantastic.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Amen on the DOM recommendation.

[quote="PaloAltoCougar"] Anyway, read the book. It's the best Church history book I've read in at least a decade.[quote]

We need to have a board discussion on chapter 4 once everyone has caught up.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:11 AM   #16
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a David O. McKay story that won't be in the book:

When I was a missionary in Oxford, MS (home of Ole Miss) we were meeting with an elderly inactive couple. The Mrs told me years ago she worked the ticket booth of a movie theater in Salt Lake, when President and Mrs McKay came to her booth and purchased tickets.

The lady noted he had parked his car at the red curb in front of the theater, and warned that he may get ticketed. President McKay smiled and responded, "I am going to take my wife to her seat and then go move my car. And if I get a ticket while I am tending to my sweet wife, that's fine by me."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two Questions

First, echoing CatBlue, I mena SeattleUte's query, can I buy other books and items from this page as well?

Second, is there anything we need to do to make sure the 4% goes to you? Such as enter a code on check out page, etc.?
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #18
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok, I gave in and ...

... purchased the book. I will take it on my trip to Africa in a few weeks. I also preordered the new Joseph Smith book by Bushman that comes out in a few weeks. That one is supposed to be a good one. Hopefully, Mike, your site will get credit for both purchases. I used the link provided.

Now, in wonderful PAC fashion, I am off to practice up on some cunnilinguistics!

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:58 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

creekster, can't remember if I answered your question via pm or not, but yes, if you go through my link, anything you buy, 4% goes to me. If you buy a book that has been linked specifically then it is higher than 4%. So if you tell me beforehand, I will put the link on the page.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 AM   #20
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default DOM book

It's not published by Deseret Book, so it wont be in my library.
Maybe we could discuss "Chicken Soup for the Ward Librarian"?

Regards,
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote