cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am kind of tired of rehashing this stupid argument over and over.

The BCS was not formed because the BCS conferences felt that Baylor was better than BYU in any given year. It was formed because those 6 conferences had enough media and market clout to get this TV and Coaches Poll deal done and it was going to mean a WHOLE lot of money for each conference. That is all it is. If people cared at all about the WAC, the WAC would have been included.

You sound like my FIL. every year he is so excited because he thinks...."aha!....NOW they will respect us....the MWC will get "respect."

And every year I have to tell him....no they won't respect the MWC because the MWC is just not as good.

The BCS conferences are really all about 3 or so teams from each conference....the ones that the majority of the country cares to watch. These are the teams that drive the revenue engines.

So back to your redundant question....what does Wyoming beating Tennessee prove? It proves that Wyoming beat Tennessee. If you think that this season means that the rest of the country now thinks that the MWC is on par with the other conferences on average, then you are mistaken. It means that the Pac 10 is down this year, the MWC had 3 nice teams, and at the end of the season, nobody will really care. Come next pre-season poll, one guess where Tennessee will be ranked and one guess where Wyoming, BYU, or Utah will be ranked. I can already tell you that Texas and SC will be near the very top. Oklahoma, etc...the same old schools every year.

Why is this concept so difficult for so many on this site to grasp? How many more of these "aha, the BCS is sham! We can beat their teams!" posts are we going to have to endure? Nobody cares if non-BCS schools can beat BCS schools. Time to get over that and move on.
The schools won't care, but the media will care. And they're part of the equation.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The schools won't care, but the media will care. And they're part of the equation.
But the media will continue to report it as a fluke. Or a huge upset. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that that's part of TD's point. It doesn't matter if Wyoming upsets Tennesee or Alabama or Ohio State or even USC. Sure it will raise a couple of eyebrows if they do, but it's always going to be regarded as a shocker. The media's not going to issue a statement: "Oh, goshdarnit, we've been wrong all along. Turns out Wyoming really IS a significant program."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But the media will continue to report it as a fluke. Or a huge upset. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that that's part of TD's point. It doesn't matter if Wyoming upsets Tennesee or Alabama or Ohio State or even USC. Sure it will raise a couple of eyebrows if they do, but it's always going to be regarded as a shocker. The media's not going to issue a statement: "Oh, goshdarnit, we've been wrong all along. Turns out Wyoming really IS a significant program."
I agree.

But follow me for a moment along a hypothetical, which is almost impossible. Let's suppose, fluke of flukes, BYU won two NC BCS games in a row, and played in a third, it would go past flukedom and the media would come around more quickly than the teams who didn't do this for competition reasons, but for market power.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I agree.

But follow me for a moment along a hypothetical, which is almost impossible. Let's suppose, fluke of flukes, BYU won two NC BCS games in a row, and played in a third, it would go past flukedom and the media would come around more quickly than the teams who didn't do this for competition reasons, but for market power.
I beg to differ. The teams (or teams from their conference) have just gotten their asses kicked three years in a row by BYU. I'm pretty sure they're going to adjust their opinions real quick. The media will continue to have the same biases they always have, but they'll be thrilled to have a new storyline to cover.

I also tend to think that removing the "almost" would better describe that particular scenario, seeing as how no team in the country has repeated as BCS champions, and a team from a non-BCS conference has yet to even break into the game.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
I beg to differ. The teams (or teams from their conference) have just gotten their asses kicked three years in a row by BYU. I'm pretty sure they're going to adjust their opinions real quick. The media will continue to have the same biases they always have, but they'll be thrilled to have a new storyline to cover.

I also tend to think that removing the "almost" would better describe that particular scenario, seeing as how no team in the country has repeated as BCS champions, and a team from a non-BCS conference has yet to even break into the game.
I imagine Pelagius and Indy could summon analysis that although minuscule and improbable, it's not completely impossible.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Archaea

Quote:

I imagine Pelagius and Indy could summon analysis that although minuscule and improbable, it's not completely impossible. I don't deem it possible except in the hypothetical, mystical world of magic.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I imagine Pelagius and Indy could summon analysis that although minuscule and improbable, it's not completely impossible.
Obviously the probability of that scenario occurring does not equal zero, but it's certainly approaching zero.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Obviously the odds of that scenario occurring are not actually zero, but they're certainly approaching zero.
I agree.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
The media will care about non-BCS schools?

OK, FIL, whatever you say.

Go MWC! Get respect!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am kind of tired of rehashing this stupid argument over and over.

The BCS was not formed because the BCS conferences felt that Baylor was better than BYU in any given year. It was formed because those 6 conferences had enough media and market clout to get this TV and Coaches Poll deal done and it was going to mean a WHOLE lot of money for each conference. That is all it is. If people cared at all about the WAC, the WAC would have been included.

You sound like my FIL. every year he is so excited because he thinks...."aha!....NOW they will respect us....the MWC will get "respect."

And every year I have to tell him....no they won't respect the MWC because the MWC is just not as good.

The BCS conferences are really all about 3 or so teams from each conference....the ones that the majority of the country cares to watch. These are the teams that drive the revenue engines.

So back to your redundant question....what does Wyoming beating Tennessee prove? It proves that Wyoming beat Tennessee. If you think that this season means that the rest of the country now thinks that the MWC is on par with the other conferences on average, then you are mistaken. It means that the Pac 10 is down this year, the MWC had 3 nice teams, and at the end of the season, nobody will really care. Come next pre-season poll, one guess where Tennessee will be ranked and one guess where Wyoming, BYU, or Utah will be ranked. I can already tell you that Texas and SC will be near the very top. Oklahoma, etc...the same old schools every year.

Why is this concept so difficult for so many on this site to grasp? How many more of these "aha, the BCS is sham! We can beat their teams!" posts are we going to have to endure? Nobody cares if non-BCS schools can beat BCS schools. Time to get over that and move on.
Translation: NCAA football=WWF

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote