cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default joebravo's letter

Quote:
'Jonny Isakson" regarding marriage ammendment

Sir,
As a constituent, I am writing you to strongly urge you to vote for the marriage amendment on June 6, 2006. As a husband, and a father of 4 children, I can think of nothing worse, than innocent young children who are born into life, adopted, into families where they did not have the nurture, and love, of a family with two parents, a man and a woman, who love each other and love their kids.

Defining marriage based on someone’s will to have rights, with no regard for the interest or the implication is an utter defamation, and should not be tolerated.

On the contrary, marriage between man and woman is ordained of God, and is the building block of our society. Strong Government is built on strong families. Allowing others, who have not been ordained of God to be legally married, and have all the rights, including the right to adopt, is utterly irresponsible, and those guilty of such indulgence, will have to stand before God, and answer to him one day.

I again strongly Urge you, to vote for the marriage amendment, and to not accept any type of compromise, or watered down version of this amendment, and to do all with the power entrusted to you, to support and win this cause!

Thank you Sir
I boardmailed him about all the foster kids waiting to be adopted, that they thank him for his consideration.

Of course they will eventually turn 18 after never having been adopted, and be thrown to the world with no support.

What a tragedy, to have no one in the world that you can claim as family support. If anything is less in harmony with the gospel than that, I would like to know what it is.

I would choose a single parent, unwed couple, gay couple, etc. before I woudl choose the state. But that's just me. Because I have seen the awful consequences of broken homes up close and personal in the foster care/psychiatric hospital mill.

I guess I'm too soft for my own good. I would have more peace if I could just adopt joebravo's point of view.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Do you have a blog, Mike? I think you'd really benefit from having a blog.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Do you have a blog, Mike? I think you'd really benefit from having a blog.
actually, yes I do. I have two.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting for someone to compile a book of all of the letters on the subject that our representatives will receive. It would be an interesting barometer of the political climate and quality of political thought of ordinary citizens from our day.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
It would be interesting for someone to compile a book of all of the letters on the subject that our representatives will receive. It would be an interesting barometer of the political climate and quality of political thought of ordinary citizens from our day.
As opposed to extra-ordinary ones like you?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
As opposed to extra-ordinary ones like you?
Some day Creekster, I hope to earn your respect, so that everything that spills forth from my carpal tunneled fingers will not be met with suspicion, and interpreted as slight.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I boardmailed him about all the foster kids waiting to be adopted, that they thank him for his consideration.

Of course they will eventually turn 18 after never having been adopted, and be thrown to the world with no support.

What a tragedy, to have no one in the world that you can claim as family support. If anything is less in harmony with the gospel than that, I would like to know what it is.

I would choose a single parent, unwed couple, gay couple, etc. before I woudl choose the state. But that's just me. Because I have seen the awful consequences of broken homes up close and personal in the foster care/psychiatric hospital mill.

I guess I'm too soft for my own good. I would have more peace if I could just adopt joebravo's point of view.
I agree with this. IMO, growing up in a home with a mom and a dad is the ideal and is light years better than any other alternative. At the other end of the spectrum is being a ward of the state. The only thing that is worse than this is being in a home where you are the victim of abuse. This is not to say that every married couple actually IS ideal, but I would assert that you have the best chance for a healthy grown up coming out of such a home. Just my lay opinion.

So while I would ideally place every child with a mom and a dad, there are more kids than married people who want them. Placement with ANY person or group of people who want the child is better than no one at all, whether it is a single, gay couple or commune who make their own clothes and meditate around a circle while they bang on bongo drums.