cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got this email today

Quote:
Valencia 2nd Ward Friends -

In the next 24 hours your household should be receiving a telephone call and invitation to participate in the Proposition 8 kick-off as announced last Sunday. This email is a further request and invitation.

Proposition 8 (the "California Marriage Protection Act") is an initiative measure on the 2008 California General Election ballot that, if passed, would amend the California Constitution to provide that "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

In connection with the Prop 8 campaign grassroots efforts, the supporting coalition, of which the Church is a member, will hold three walk/phone days to help generate voter support on August 16, 23, and September 6. We invite everyone 16 and over to show their support of this crucial Constitutional Amendment by dedicating three hours of their time on each of these three days "walking," which is highly encouraged, or in the alternative - "phoning." (if 16 or 17 years-olds are participating, they need to be accompanied by a parent)

**We will meet this first Saturday, August 16th, at 9am in the Church parking lot for a three-hour effort. Everything will be explained in a pre-walk briefing and all materials will be provided. We are encouraged to work in pairs, so feel free to bring a friend or neighbor.

There are walking and phoning scripts, fact sheets, handouts/flyers, and all the necessary materials will be provided to make this as straightforward as possible.

Please commit your participation this Saturday either by responding to the phone call you receive or by emailing XXXX at XXXX

We look forward to seeing you Saturday - (and please prepare your schedules to be able to participate also August 23 and September 6 - most likely the same time). If you are unable to participate during the 9am-12pm time frame, you are encouraged to accept a walking or phoning assignment and then able to complete it on your own time.

Thanks so much for your support and sacrifice in this worthy effort.

Valencia 2nd Ward Leadership
I am so glad my son has football scrimmages on those days preventing our participation, but just to be honest I wouldn't participate anyway.

The thing that annoys me about this email is that they are encouraging teenagers to go canvasing. What a horrible formative activity for the youth IMHO. Then again, maybe they will be exposed to just how awful Prop 8 is when they go door to door. I just wish their parents were not going with them so that when a neighbor tells them that their support of prop 8 is bigoted they would not have their parents assuring them that they are on God's errand, and God is not bigoted. I understand why the church wants the parents to go though...not many teenagers would actually complete the task without prodding.

I have to just shake my head at this.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I am so glad my son has football scrimmages on those days preventing our participation, but just to be honest I wouldn't participate anyway.

The thing that annoys me about this email is that they are encouraging teenagers to go canvasing. What a horrible formative activity for the youth IMHO. Then again, maybe they will be exposed to just how awful Prop 8 is when they go door to door. I just wish their parents were not going with them so that when a neighbor tells them that their support of prop 8 is bigoted they would not have their parents assuring them that they are on God's errand, and God is not bigoted. I understand why the church wants the parents to go though...not many teenagers would actually complete the task without prodding.

The youth have to learn at some point in time that "we" are a different people. We have to be willing to stand up and be scorned, reviled and cursed. When you stand for truth, it doesn't matter that the world stands against you.

Quite frankly I am dissapointed the church has given in to what I call the ways of the world. I actually admire the FLDS for at least standing up for their principles though the world hates them. Once we get enough men wearing white shirts in church, I then suggest we get back to having our women dress like the FLDS women.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Wow, what a shocker that you of all people would not be participating in this.

Bigots?

I guess if you think the act of homosuxuality is abhoring and disgusting, that makes you a bigot, well I guess you'll have to include me as one of the bigots on your list.

Hate the sin brother, not the sinner.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Wow, what a shocker that you of all people would not be participating in this.

Bigots?

I guess if you think the act of homosuxuality is abhoring and disgusting, that makes you a bigot, well I guess you'll have to include me as one of the bigots on your list.

Hate the sin brother, not the sinner.
Click. Mainstream Mormon Exhibit ____.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Click. Mainstream Mormon Exhibit ____.
Just curious SU. How do you define mainstream mormon.

For instance, do mainstream mormons swear. Do mainstream mormons ever gamble, say on the golf course. Do mainstream mormons have wives that work.

I would just like to know what your definition is.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Does anybody think going door-to-door will actually help Proposition 8? Will door-step conversations change anyone's mind? I'm doubtful.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post

I hit 3 dingers against Valencia 2nd Ward in a Regional Softball game back in '88 or '89. I had this 38 ounce bat I used back then, serious torque I could get with that bad boy.

But I am sure they will see the goodness of Zion in the gleaming eyes of the youth. The Prop will fail but you will hear many testimonies from touched parents as they bear witness of the lesson their cherubic little ones got of obedience and how to "follow the prophet...follow the prophet..he knows the way!"

Not only that but I like man made ta-tas, so I am good with God.

That is all.

There are benefits to living in communities that need no canvassing as they are already children of the light!

Now that really is all.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Does anybody think going door-to-door will actually help Proposition 8? Will door-step conversations change anyone's mind? I'm doubtful.
When religious people come to my door to purvey their false creeds is the only time I wish I had a couple of big strapping and starving dobermans to unchain.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Stopping Prop 8 is not the goal. Using it as a tool to demonstrate where the LDS Church stands on this issue is. It is a prosletyzing goal, IMO.

stripper is missing out on being the voice which the elect will recognize....Personally, I hear heaven in Redd Foxx's voice...."Lizbeth honey, I'm comin' to join ya!"
Old 08-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Done.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote