cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #51
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Suppose you had a black family living next to you and you were good friends with them. And you discovered that someone has planted a burning cross in their front lawn. Would you consider that offensive? Or just "ignorant" and "silly"?

So as a white person, you are not offended by racist comments? Swell for you.
I may not take offense to the words of others, but do think I'm a fairly compassionate person. If that were to happen to my neighbors (my previous neighbors, before I moved were black and I was very good friends with them), I would do everything in my power to help them through that.

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between actually vandalizing the property of another person and some old man telling me I'm inferior to him.

As a white person I'm could never be offended by any comments made by people I have not come to love and respect a great deal.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

As a white person I'm could never be offended by any comments made by people I have not come to love and respect a great deal.
Such as apostles and general authorities? LOL.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #53
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I may not take offense to the words of others, but do think I'm a fairly compassionate person. If that were to happen to my neighbors (my previous neighbors, before I moved were black and I was very good friends with them), I would do everything in my power to help them through that.

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between actually vandalizing the property of another person and some old man telling me I'm inferior to him.

Please quit validating SU's hyperbole.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #54
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Such as apostles and general authorities? LOL.
Thomas S Monson could come out tomorrow and say that every white male with two kids, a pregnant wife, is an assistant scoutmaster with a big nose, and hates green vegetables...is cursed and was a jack ass in the pre-existence.

I would probably think "that sucks" since it describes me to a 'T', but I wouldn't spend any more than that one second thinking about it. I have better things to worry about like my jack ass boss who I hate more than anybody I've ever hated in my life.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #55
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Please quit validating SU's hyperbole.
"The bittersweet thing about the priesthood ban and its legacy is that it's a metaphor, emblematic, or better, a microsocm, of so much. To a thoughtful person it is endlessly damning, it spreads like peritonitis. That's why the LDS Church needs to treat it."

--SeattleUte, 2/1/08

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #56
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

#3 gave me the biggest guffaw. I guess if you looked like Heber C. Kimball, you would need every possible advantage.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
#3 gave me the biggest guffaw. I guess if you looked like Heber C. Kimball, you would need every possible advantage.
If you saw British women, you would understand his cow reference.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #58
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you saw British women, you would understand his cow reference.
Ouch!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #59
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The worst thing is how many Mormons still believe that stuff and that Jesus just changed his mind about excluding blacks. I bet an overwhelming majority do, including just about everyone from my parents' generation. It's not just harmless babbling from the distant past. Mormonism's leaders are happy to let their followers remain lost in the worst kind of abyss of ignorance. Of course.
I guess it's a lot easier to blame god ("I don't know why HE did it, but we humbly followed him and were grateful when HE lifted the ban.") than the "infallible" leaders you've fixed your wagon to and constructed your entire personal, family, and community identity around.

Somehow it seems easier for these people to believe that god is a racist asshole than Joseph Fielding Smith. go figure.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #60
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Somehow it seems easier for these people to believe that god is a racist asshole than Joseph Fielding Smith. go figure.
What a classic logical fallacy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote