cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #71
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The Jazz's problem is that they keep forgetting to pound the ball inside. When they do that, they do well and get the Lakers into foul trouble. The Jazz can win by getting Odom and/or Gasol in foul trouble early. Boozer, Kirilenko, Okur and Williams on drives should be drawing a lot of contact. The trouble starts when Kirilenko and Okur (the two worst offenders) try to lob up a shot from 20 feet out or more. Once they do it, they seem to keep doing it until Sloan pulls them out. I don't get it. But I think it can and will be corrected and the Jazz will take 2 in SLC, putting the pressure on the Lakers in Game 5.
That would be a great strategy...for the Lakers.

If Memo and AK are moving with the ball and driving, that means Deron does NOT have the ball, at home, in the ESA. That is fine by me. Give it to Okur every time for all I care.

If the Jazz are to have any hope, Deron needs to be more assertive from the get-go...and by assertive, I mean he needs to assume a bulk of the scoring. He cannot simply hope to distribute against the Lakers....they have too much team speed and length, so they disrupt the passing lanes. Deron left is feet tonight twice and resulted in turnovers because the Lakers collapsed, just like Sizzle pointed out.

He tried to get assertive tonight but got spooked when Rony swatted him hard. He seemed rattled after that. He also got manhandled on a few plays with no call. He will get those calls in SLC.

The Lakers have won 6 straight in the playoffs and 14 of their last 15 overall. They are peaking and looking indestructible. To the detriment of every other team in the league, Kobe has truly finally learned to trust his teammates.

That being said, I think a buzz saw awaits them in Game 3. I hope I am wrong.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #72
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That would be a great strategy...for the Lakers.

If Memo and AK are moving with the ball and driving, that means Deron does NOT have the ball, at home, in the ESA. That is fine by me. Give it to Okur every time for all I care.

If the Jazz are to have any hope, Deron needs to be more assertive from the get-go...and by assertive, I mean he needs to assume a bulk of the scoring. He cannot simply hope to distribute against the Lakers....they have too much team speed and length, so they disrupt the passing lanes. Deron left is feet tonight twice and resulted in turnovers because the Lakers collapsed, just like Sizzle pointed out.

He tried to get assertive tonight but got spooked when Rony swatted him hard. He seemed rattled after that. He also got manhandled on a few plays with no call. He will get those calls in SLC.

The Lakers have won 6 straight in the playoffs and 14 of their last 15 overall. They are peaking and looking indestructible. To the detriment of every other team in the league, Kobe has truly finally learned to trust his teammates.

That being said, I think a buzz saw awaits them in Game 3. I hope I am wrong.
No, I didn't mean Boozer, Okur and Kirilenko should be driving, just that they should be drawing contact, and that Williams should be getting contact when driving. Williams should penetrate and then shoot or kick the ball to the open guy (who is often one of the big 3 in the low post). The Jazz are a great passing team. They just can't settle for Okur/Kirilenko jump shots from 20 feet with a man fairly close on defense.

I agree Williams needs to be assertive. That is what I am getting at as well. He did that in the 4th quarter at times, but needed a bit more consistency. Part of the problem were the clear fouls that weren't called on him, and I think he got frustrated. I love the Jazz's chances at the ESA. They just need to learn they can beat these guys, and they definitely can. The Lakers are playing with a ton of confidence right now and the Jazz need to take it away and make Kobe uncertain as to whether or not he can hand the ball off to someone else.

Fortunately, there is NO WAY the Lakers shoot 61% in Game 3-7.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #73
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The jazz are now 2-3 on the road in the playoffs. Their regular season bad habits are already appearing in the post-season.
Other than the Lakers, has any other team in the playoffs won two road games yet? I am too lazy to look it up.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #74
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I do think Boozer is playing with a severly injured back, and while it's nice of him to go out and give it an effort, his body language, the way he carries himself is just obvious that he's thrown in the towel.

Seriously if he can't give it a legit try anymore, and thats the problem I'm having, is he doesn't even seem to give a shit right now.....then it's time to bench him for the year and let someone who plays with a passion like Millsap take the lead for the rest of the playoffs.

Boozers aloof demeanor and attitude seems to be effecting the rest of the team.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #75
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Other than the Lakers, has any other team in the playoffs won two road games yet? I am too lazy to look it up.
Jazz won two in the first round. The home teams in the 2nd round are perfect, I believe.

Kobe made some brilliant, difficult shots with Brewer guarding him, but Harpring was clearly the most disruptive defender. Kobe was able to get shots whenever he wanted them against Brewer.

If the laker's rebounding doesn't improve, they'll have to shoot 55%+ to keep beating the Jazz. Even then, I don't see the Jazz winning four of five.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #76
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
If the laker's rebounding doesn't improve, they'll have to shoot 55%+ to keep beating the Jazz. Even then, I don't see the Jazz winning four of five.
Two reasons you may be off on this...

The Lakers rebounding was the only noticeable adjustment that was made by either team between Games 1 and 2. The Lakers closed the overall rebounding differential from about -20 (Game 1) to -4 (Game 2). A 16 rebound improvement.

Second, what does it matter that the Jazz out-rebound the Lakers if they cant hit open shots?

The Lakers are not the team that has to make any adjustments right now. Unless you are unsatisfied and want the Lakers to win by 20 points.

When a team loses one game in a playoff series, it isnt generally a big deal. Teams need a moment to get used to each other. When they lose back-to-back games, it is always a big deal....because it shows an inability to make adjustments.

Right now, the only thing Jazz fans are hoping is that being at home will all of sudden change the nature of the matchups. I guess the crowd yelling loudly will make Boozer a great defender?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #77
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Damn, that last assist by Kobe where he split the double with a spin then wrapped the pass around Okur's head was ridiculous.

MVP.
I am not a Jazz fan by any means and that was a nice play, but he definitely traveled.

The Lakers are great offensively but I still think they are soft in regards to interior defense. Deron Williams could have gone to the rim every possession and he tried to for a stretch but then they would go away from that play and have Korver force a 15 foot jumper.

I did not understand what Utah was doing at all last night.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #78
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I am not a Jazz fan by any means and that was a nice play, but he definitely traveled.

The Lakers are great offensively but I still think they are soft in regards to interior defense. Deron Williams could have gone to the rim every possession and he tried to for a stretch but then they would go away from that play and have Korver force a 15 foot jumper.

I did not understand what Utah was doing at all last night.
Deron tried to assert himself very early in the first quarter.

Turiaf swatted his shot into the third row.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #79
TripletDaddy

I guess we will see Larry hiding in the tunnel in the second half....

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_9190865?source=rss

Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #80
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

There were several times where Deron went to the paint, and a few of those where he got hammered and no call.......and yet Kobe would go in, get breathed on and it's a foul.

Clearly there is no such thing as superstar treatment in the NBA.