cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Can Salt Lake support a MLB team?

Man, I would LOVE to see that. Summers here are boring sports-wise.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I would love to see it happen, but there simply aren't enough baseball fans to support a major league team. Also, with what's happening with RSL and the stadium trouble in Sandy, there's no way a city or county is going to spring for the money it would cost to expand Franklin Quest - not to mention the necessary money it would take to acquire enough land around the stadium for parking - and there is no way a guy who wants to put MLB in Utah would ever pay for a stadium himself. He'd just go to another city willing to do so.

I enjoy the AAA ball as much as I do MLB. If you ever want to catch a Bees game, let me know. I'm always up for that. We could talk about KCGL or early KJQ while we put down a few dogs and Cokes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it 20 to 50 years.. you'll see MLB in SLC
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can someone explain how MLB teams sell seats for all their home games in the middle of a day on a work day?

Boggles my mind.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
No. I would love to see it happen, but there simply aren't enough baseball fans to support a major league team. Also, with what's happening with RSL and the stadium trouble in Sandy, there's no way a city or county is going to spring for the money it would cost to expand Franklin Quest - not to mention the necessary money it would take to acquire enough land around the stadium for parking - and there is no way a guy who wants to put MLB in Utah would ever pay for a stadium himself. He'd just go to another city willing to do so.

I enjoy the AAA ball as much as I do MLB. If you ever want to catch a Bees game, let me know. I'm always up for that. We could talk about KCGL or early KJQ while we put down a few dogs and Cokes.
I think we're close to having enough fans, but you're right, the stadium issue would be a problem. I think it's more likely to get public funding for a baseball stadium than a soccer stadium, simply because baseball is more popular and there's MLB's a little more stable than MLS, but it's probably still an issue.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that Utah would get an NHL team before they'd get an MLB team...the arena is in place, and I do think you could get people out to NHL games at the Delta Center.

Plus, Checkets bought the St. Louis Blues...I can see it now...the Utah Blues...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah Jazz, Utah Blues

Utah Grunge is next..
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think SLC could support football or baseball right now. But, there are some things that are helping--Utah is proving that it can sustain some pretty high level sports as the Jazz, Bees, Real and the Blaze all are pretty good in attendence when compared to other cities.

In the next 10-15 years, SLC will have added another 100-200,000 people. I could see SLC being able to handle either MLB or football. The problem, and we all know it, with football is the Sunday games. But in 10 years, SLC will be a lot less Mormon and maybe they could fill the arena. But I think baseball is a better option for Utah than football would be. Its fun to think about at least.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

Boring in the summer?!?!? are you kidding? Summer never seemed shorter following the soccer club. It makes the time between football seasons feel like a month.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Boring in the summer?!?!? are you kidding? Summer never seemed shorter following the soccer club. It makes the time between football seasons feel like a month.
I hate soccer, so yeah, it's boring for me.