cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Home winning pct of top 100 RPI

Indy, you may be factual, but you're misleading. The statistics challenged portion of your readership don't understand what you're saying.

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=3372154

Maybe top 100 RPI win 88% at home. (Using my computer model top 100 I got 85% winning pct at home.) But that doesn't mean you can take any given game for a top 100 RPI team at home and blanket say they have 88% chance to win.

Ranking 90-100 at home against top 10 was only 1/6.

In games with teams with equal ratings, you can expect home team to win 66% of the time (fairly close to college football).

In order to even the home field advantage, the visiting team would have to have a power ranking of 5.5 points. That's about the difference of #40 and #80 in a typical year.

My model has BYU #58, Utah #60, and UNLV #53, so for the games this week it would predict:

BYU 31% chance beat UNLV away with power rating diff of -0.5
BYU 34% chance beat Utah away with power rating diff of +.2

Since the computer models are still not very accurate, it depends on what you think of these teams and what the point differential would be on neutral court.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote