cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Can you make a deal with God?

It seems like I've seen this storyline quite a few times in movies and tv: some dramatic moment where one character vows to God that if He wil grant this one blessing of X that the character really, really wants, the character will do Y.

I've always generally dismissed it as silly. But how different is it from just plain asking for direct blessings? Is it better or worse? Or just nonsensical?

Is it different from something like baptism or other covenants where it seems to me that we do vow certain things in exchange for certain blessings?

I will say I tried it once. There was something I really, really wanted, and making the deal gave me the opportunity to reflect on areas where I thought I was falling short. But here's the problem: I didn't get what I wanted, and I still felt obligated to live up to my end of the deal because it was something I should have been doing anyway. Perhaps that's even more nonsensical.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
It seems like I've seen this storyline quite a few times in movies and tv: some dramatic moment where one character vows to God that if He wil grant this one blessing of X that the character really, really wants, the character will do Y.

I've always generally dismissed it as silly. But how different is it from just plain asking for direct blessings? Is it better or worse? Or just nonsensical?

Is it different from something like baptism or other covenants where it seems to me that we do vow certain things in exchange for certain blessings?

I will say I tried it once. There was something I really, really wanted, and making the deal gave me the opportunity to reflect on areas where I thought I was falling short. But here's the problem: I didn't get what I wanted, and I still felt obligated to live up to my end of the deal because it was something I should have been doing anyway. Perhaps that's even more nonsensical.
I agree with your musings. And would like time to ponder and to pen something worthwhile.

But no I don't really believe you "bargain" with God, perhaps you simply recognize his power and plead for something by hopefully making yourself potentially more worthy to receive something which you appear to need.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If Satan can bargain with God, I think we can as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If Satan can bargain with God, I think we can as well.
So my role model here is Satan? Nice.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But no I don't really believe you "bargain" with God, perhaps you simply recognize his power and plead for something by hopefully making yourself potentially more worthy to receive something which you appear to need.
We can always fall back on the "I thought I needed it, but God knew better" line of reasoning. Which would suggest that we can't bargain because God will do what is best for us and knows better what we need. But there are stories where supposedly God it pestered into accepting mortal desires, like that Martin Harris story. Or some might view the passing on of the priesthood to larger groups that way as well.

What does bother me most about this concept it what I mentioned above in my personal story. I really can't articulate why I felt obligated to perform my end of the bargain when I didn't get what I wanted. I should be off the hook, it seems.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I hereby offer my soul to God in exchange for $500,000,000.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You can't. "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:21

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You can't. "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:21
Except of course for all the times in the Old Testament that someone did, which is what makes this an interesting question. It's hardly just a modern idea.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

And if it's true that you can't, is it wrong to try?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
And if it's true that you can't, is it wrong to try?
you are likely to learn something in the process. Is it wrong to push against the earth, hoping to move it?