cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm speaking tomorrow..

at a local high school near my work on how to stay out of debt. i'm supposed to take up probably 5-10 minutes. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share.

1. The first thought I want to drill in their heads is when they take home their pay check they should be thinking "what can I do with this money to make more money." Whether it be to just throw it into a savings account or use it to buy things to make them more money, ie. lawn mower, supplies to detail cars, etc. plant the seed for those that have that entrepenuerial spirit.

2. Track your spending! Know what you have in your account at all times and only buy things you

3. Don't be an emotional spender. Ladies, when you are shopping at BCBG and you find that pair of shoes you just have to have, take a deep breath, walk out of the store and clear your head. If after a while you still feel like you have to have them and it's in your budget, go for it.

4. Be smart. Don't spend more than you have.

I have a bunch of other thoughts, but I'm not good at organizing my thoughts for stupid stuff like this. I tend to over analyze it and go off on tangents (a trait I learned from my dad) So any help would be appreciated...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Default explain the 4 obstacles to obtaining financial security

1. Spending habits
2. Procrastination
3. inflation
4. TAXES!!!!
Get those 4 under control and everything will work out great. Use inflation for you by buying real estate, otherwise it will kill you. I speak tomorrow also on tax savings and real estate in AZ.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
at a local high school near my work on how to stay out of debt. i'm supposed to take up probably 5-10 minutes. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share.

1. The first thought I want to drill in their heads is when they take home their pay check they should be thinking "what can I do with this money to make more money." Whether it be to just throw it into a savings account or use it to buy things to make them more money, ie. lawn mower, supplies to detail cars, etc. plant the seed for those that have that entrepenuerial spirit.

2. Track your spending! Know what you have in your account at all times and only buy things you

3. Don't be an emotional spender. Ladies, when you are shopping at BCBG and you find that pair of shoes you just have to have, take a deep breath, walk out of the store and clear your head. If after a while you still feel like you have to have them and it's in your budget, go for it.

I have a bunch of other thoughts, but I'm not good at organizing my thoughts for stupid stuff like this. I tend to over analyze it and go off on tangents (a trait I learned from my dad) So any help would be appreciated...
Use cash.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

You are forgetting the most important aspect of this issue.

All your suggestions assume a revenue stream.

These kids need to grasp that they need an income stream, and they need to be realistic about what that income stream is likely to be. If they choose to pursue an education or start a business on their own with no schooling, more power to them either way. But they need to have a plan one way or the other. money isnt going to fall into their laps.

Also, if you need a Max Azria fix, go to bluefly, not full retail, silly! Bon chic, Bon genre, Bon website.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
1. Spending habits
2. Procrastination
3. inflation
4. TAXES!!!!
Get those 4 under control and everything will work out great. Use inflation for you by buying real estate, otherwise it will kill you. I speak tomorrow also on tax savings and real estate in AZ.
That is a sweet idea VV. Go to the HS gym and lecture some juniors and sophomores about leveraging inflation to buy real estate.

Why didnt anyone talk to me about that stuff when I was 15?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
venomous viper

Smile you probably weren't listening.

My dad informed me before that. Too bad for you. I'm sure the 15 year olds are disciplined to give a rats ass about income stream, instead of that wonderful guitar game you spoke of or other video games!! Much better use of funds, tic.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
venomous viper

Default trip-

you seem to want to just disagree with my posts- this one, cancun earlier,? Where's the bond we created? Unfortunately, I have to catch a plane soon, so I don't have a lot of time to argue today, Maybe we can just agree to ALWAYS disagree with each other. I hate cal, you don't. I believe in investments of all sorts, you don't. I do agree with income streams and I think you'll be happier when you have more of them...
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
you seem to want to just disagree with my posts- this one, cancun earlier,? Where's the bond we created? Unfortunately, I have to catch a plane soon, so I don't have a lot of time to argue today, Maybe we can just agree to ALWAYS disagree with each other. I hate cal, you don't. I believe in investments of all sorts, you don't. I do agree with income streams and I think you'll be happier when you have more of them...
The bond is there, VV. I am just teasing my uvuncular pal. You should know this by now.

BTW, If you are ever in town and are doing one of your MLM seminar things, let me know and I will swing by and check it out.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:

They probably heard a lot of that before, so the risk is it might go in one ear and out the other (if it isn't blocked by an earphone). I would do what I could to try to make it personal. Tell them about Apple. Look up when the Ipod first came out and see what would have happened if they had invested the cost of the Ipod in Apple stock, and what is the original Ipod worth today? Then ask them to start looking around and see that it is better in the long term to be the owner of the business or the consumer? There may be better examples.

I set up a small UTMA account for my nephew when he received his Eagle Scout and as an early HS graduation gift, I think he is A LOT more interested in the economy, business news, etc, now than before. We made some lucky choices for his small "portfolio" (I was worried the example would backfire since we could properly diversify).
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote