cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

one of you, just for kicks present a dilemma for every single question in the interview.

so that the interview takes at least an hour.

and report back.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #52
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
one of you, just for kicks present a dilemma for every single question in the interview.

so that the interview takes at least an hour.

and report back.
I fail to see how, even in jest, asking insincere questions is fair to a bishop or stake president who already spends too much time away from his family. If they were sincere questions, however, I'd have no problem doing this.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
I fail to see how, even in jest, asking insincere questions is fair to a bishop or stake president who already spends too much time away from his family. If they were sincere questions, however, I'd have no problem doing this.
There are always dilemmas to the thoughtful person. It's just a matter of whether you mention them or not.

I wholly agree--unless you are completely lost and want direction, do not talk about your dilemmas with the Bishop.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
I believe temple recommend interviews are an opportunity for the individual to evaluate their lives and determine if they are living a life that is in harmony with the teachings of the Gospel. When conducting interviews, I always made it point to tell the individual that other than themselves, only Heavenly Father knew whether or not they were worthy to enter the temple. I explained that unless Heavenly Father prompted me to deny them a temple recommend or unless I was aware of a serious transgression, that they would be getting one. I further explained that the questions require a simple "yes" or "no" answer. So to Triplett Daddy, it is your call.

If I were your bishop I would ask you something like this: Triplet Daddy, "Do you sympathize with or support any group or individual whose teaching are contrary to or oppose the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? If your answer is no, I would go on to the next question. If your understanding of the question prompts you to answer yes, I would want to clarify why you answered yes, because I know individuals can be very hard on themselves when evaluating their own worthiness. If you were to then explain your position on proposition 8 without critizing or degrading the Church and its leaders for the position they have taken with respect to the prop, I believe I would sign your recommend. However, if you go on a tirade on how the Church leaders are blind and out of touch with reality and that the First Presidency members are a bunch of old dudes who need to catch up with the times and that they are not true prophets seers and revelators because of the position they have taken, etc...I would probably not sign your recommend. You can then of course take your case to the Stake President who I believe can sign on both signature lines.

I recall only once not signing an individual's temple recommend and that was for a different issue. I agonized over my decision because that individual would end up missing her only child's sealing. However, I was aware of the transgression and I could not in good conscience sign the recommend. Most bishops want you to attend the temple rather than keep you out.

My 2 cents.
You sound like a great bishop. Thanks for posting that.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #55
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
However, if you go on a tirade on how the Church leaders are blind and out of touch with reality and that the First Presidency members are a bunch of old dudes who need to catch up with the times and that they are not true prophets seers and revelators because of the position they have taken, etc...I would probably not sign your recommend. You can then of course take your case to the Stake President who I believe can sign on both signature lines.
Interesting. I guess my wine drinking is irrelevant to whether I would get a temple recommend.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #56
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
If you were to then explain your position on proposition 8 without critizing or degrading the Church and its leaders for the position they have taken with respect to the prop, I believe I would sign your recommend. However, if you go on a tirade on how the Church leaders are blind and out of touch with reality and that the First Presidency members are a bunch of old dudes who need to catch up with the times and that they are not true prophets seers and revelators because of the position they have taken, etc...
Let's make your hypothetical a little tougher and a little more realistic.

What if an applicant said, "I think the Church's opposition to civil unions and gay marriage is wrong. I'm afraid I think it's immoral. I'm worried that my children will have to be ashamed of this like I'm ashamed of the priesthood ban."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #57
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Let's make your hypothetical a little tougher and a little more realistic.

What if an applicant said, "I think the Church's opposition to civil unions and gay marriage is wrong. I'm afraid I think it's immoral. I'm worried that my children will have to be ashamed of this like I'm ashamed of the priesthood ban."
Here is the problem with your hypothetical, and I mean this sincerely: There is no way to replicate the setting or the spiritual guidance a bishop may feel in responding to this situation. In this forum we can only discuss it intellectually but the discussion is bereft of emotion and spiritual direction, which components are essential to any effective decision in this process.

Cougarobgn said it better than I can already, but in my mind, the TR interview is to stimulate the members to consider their own relationship with God and their worthiness to enter the temple. The last question is whether you consider yourself worthy to enter the temple and all the other questions, in my mind, are mere prelude to that act of self-examination.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #58
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I just got my recommend renewed last week. Speaking only for myself, it would not have occured to me to mention something like that.

Although I will say that CG influenced my answers a bit. Remembering how much it annoyed BFM when someone answered the honesty question "I try", I spent some time beforehand pondering on my honesty, and during the interview, answered with a simple "yes".
Let me also say that the more I have thought about BFM's earlier post on recommend interviews, the more sense it makes. BFM is a wise man.