cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Training Run

So 3 years ago I started running. That summer I decided to do my first half marathon and did it in 1:42:04. That was the provo river 1/2 which is really downhill. That was 12 weeks after I had gone out for my first run. It hurt so bad, that I thought I would never run that far again.

Saturday I went for a training run http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,406228241 on a really flat run. At mile 12 I stopped by my house for some gatorade before the last mile. I think I need to work out a way to bring some fuel with me on these long runs. I can officially say that this is the farthest I have ever run in my entire life.

It was also nice not feeling like I was going to die afterwards.

Next saturday I am going out for 14. That scares me.

btw I like the furman trianing programs, even if I did pick it up right in the middle and didn't start from the beginning.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Very well done.

Are you on the marathon training program? I'm due for a 14 miler this weekend as well. Does this mean that you finally buckled under pressure and are going to join us for Sacramento marathon in November?

Why not just hit pause on the ipod during the water stop? It looks like you may have been able to go under 1:40 if you had. Waters would be extremely disappointed if you had, but who cares? 1:40 is 1:40

Steel also did a half marathon on saturday. Come on Steel - man up and post your data as well!!!
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

Are you on the marathon training program? I'm due for a 14 miler this weekend as well. Does this mean that you finally buckled under pressure and are going to join us for Sacramento marathon in November?
I am doing the 1/2 marathon training, and no i did not cave in to the pressure, nor will I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Why not just hit pause on the ipod during the water stop? It looks like you may have been able to go under 1:40 if you had. Waters would be extremely disappointed if you had, but who cares? 1:40 is 1:40

I did pause, the graph is just weird. This one is better:

I also had to pause at mile 10 as my armband is ripping and it was starting to fall off. It is one of the belkin ones. Which do you recommend?
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
bluegoose

I'm not sure what to tell you about the arm band. I end up holding mine more often than not when I run. Its comfortable enough on my arm, but I like being able to see the display. Plus, on longer runs where I sweat a lot it would tend to fog up on the clear window.

I see nike now has an arm band with a clear screen, which was my main complaint with their original nano holder.

This is similar to what I use for water on long runs, although mine has 2-10oz flasks instead of a 10 oz and a 5 oz one. It has worked really well. Once you get into a rhythm you don't even notice that its there.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Next saturday I am going out for 14. That scares me.

btw I like the furman trianing programs, even if I did pick it up right in the middle and didn't start from the beginning.
I think we're doing the same program. I'm doing the furman marathon program and have a 14 miler coming this weekend. I did my 13 on Saturday while on a campout with the scouts. I got up early and ran on fire roads in the mountains at 4,000 feet elevation (shut up Utahans, we are at 500 ft in Redding) and felt really good. It was very hilly so I couldn't hold the pace I was supposed to hold (8:15) but I did hold an 8:30ish pace and I felt strong at the end.

I can't post my data from work because I can't access Nike+ here anymore. But I'll post it tonight.

EDIT: Ok, here it is.

http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...nID,1949906464

Last edited by SteelBlue; 09-08-2008 at 10:50 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
bluegoose

Here is my 10 miler from last friday. I started at 5:00 am before work and didn't take a light. So between it being dark and me taking a while to warm up I started out dang slow. I was supposed to average 8:15, but ended up doing 8:32.

http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,339312621
Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a Fuel Belt. I had an Amphipod belt and hated it, the bottles kept falling out. The Fuel Belt is a bit more of a pain getting the bottles into their holders, but at least you never get 3 miles down the road and discover you've lost one.

I've been running with the Nike+ Sportband and love it. The runs upload much faster than with ITunes.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote