cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we re-baptize Michael Quinn?

I heard that he refuses to deny God's existence and the Restoration. I know he's a homosexual, but I'm sure his bishop can work something out where he can still go to church.

If Bushman can say JS was a product of his environment, why can't Quinn?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I heard that he refuses to deny God's existence and the Restoration. I know he's a homosexual, but I'm sure his bishop can work something out where he can still go to church.

If Bushman can say JS was a product of his environment, why can't Quinn?
Why was Quinn ex'ed?

He is "faithful" in many respects and besides Bushman, one of the better professional historians for LDS issues.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Obviously I wasn't in the room when the call was made, but as I understand it, it wasn't just homosexuality that was the issue. I recall he was excommunicated for apostasy.

On what specifically? No idea.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Obviously I wasn't in the room when the call was made, but as I understand it, it wasn't just homosexuality that was the issue. I recall he was excommunicated for apostasy.

To the best of my knowledge, he's not been a guy who ran and started his own church, or who has gone out of his way to deride the Church or its leadership. He has his conclusions, some of which I don't share, that may divert from the Church position, but I don't see the reason for excommunicating him. I would hope he'd be considered for readmission if my understanding is correct.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

You're probably right, but at this point it mattereth not why he was ex'ed. Homosexuality probably would prevent his re-baptism, and that's my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To the best of my knowledge, he's not been a guy who ran and started his own church, or who has gone out of his way to deride the Church or its leadership. He has his conclusions, some of which I don't share, that may divert from the Church position, but I don't see the reason for excommunicating him. I would hope he'd be considered for readmission if my understanding is correct.
Yeah, he is still firm on the truth of the restoration. He documented JS's involvement with folk magic (among other things), which at the time would probably hurt the Church. Times have changed, and being perhaps the one most knowledgeable people on Mormonism and remaining a solid believer would be an asset to the Church.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 10-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Told his story to the SL Trib last week.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...hurch.html.csp

I thought the turning point was his campaigning to be an apostle, considering himself as one of the twelve chosen ones. Also couldn't fathom the idea of the brethren having a deeper understanding of science than someone as educated as himself.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there's no reason to even think about it. He himself says he doesn't want to be a member.

I've not read anything he has written, but a friend who has and whose opinion I respect says that Quinn started to strain credulity with some of his conclusions to fit what seemed to be a preconceived agenda.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote