cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I get the impression that academia is actually more pro-Palestinian than the average American.
No doubt about it. Then again, your average American thinks all Palestinians are worthless terrorists squatting on Israeli land.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No doubt about it. Then again, your average American thinks all Palestinians are worthless terrorists squatting on Israeli land.
That's probably true, but the Palestinian leadership has not done very well countering that image, has it. I still have the image of Palestinian dancing in the streets after 9/11 burned into my brain. Yassir Arafat could not have set back his movement more effectively than if he had time-warped the entire region back to 300 BC.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I get the impression that academia is actually more pro-Palestinian than the average American.
You may be right but then why are these authors being boycotted by so many fine universities (the primary vehicle for their selling their book is to show up and lecture, etc.)? Probably the reason is money--donations--more than convictions. Pro-Israel folks probably donate a great deal more than pro-Palestinian folks.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You may be right but then why are these authors being boycotted by so many fine universities (the primary vehicle for their selling their book is to show up and lecture, etc.)? Probably the reason is money--donations--more than convictions. Pro-Israel folks probably donate a great deal more than pro-Palestinian folks.
if you a "zionist" book, you would probably see boycotts as well, but probably led by students, not faculty.

It's much easier to piss off your muslim colleagues than your jewish colleagues, because the jews outnumber the muslims at least 10 to 1.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/bo...ks&oref=slogin

The link is to a review of a soon to be issued book jointly authored by a Harvard professor and a U of Chicago professor about the alleged clout of the Israeli lobby and how it powerfully nudges America to act against its own interests in myriad ways. I don't share their conclusions or beliefs, but the way academia is black balling them and banishng any discussion of their book is disgraceful. This subject shouldn't be offlimits for discussion at our great universities. We are, after all, mired in a war in the Middle East that a large majority of the American people now deeply regret, that we undertook in part because we perceived it was in the interest of Israel's increased security, and in the last election (in case you didn't notice) our president found himself with some very strange bedfellows such as Ed Koch among prominent liberal Jewish leaders.
I'm surprised the story wasn't censored by the Jewish NY Times.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I'm surprised the story wasn't censored by the Jewish NY Times.
I guess the linked article disproves your premise. By the way, I'm surprised at a borderline anti-semitic statement like this coming from someone who prides himself in sensitivity to race, ethnicity and gender issues.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

The academy is pretty divided on the Palestinian-Jew issus. Remember how many of the professors are Jewish, especially in the Northeast.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I guess the linked article disproves your premise. By the way, I'm surprised at a borderline anti-semitic statement like this coming from someone who prides himself in sensitivity to race, ethnicity and gender issues.
Is your sarcasm-meter broken?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #19
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read Mearsheimer and Walt's book. I highly recommend it.

It is riveting (like a lot of IR books are), and very logically sequenced. You'll go through it like Harry Potter. First he provides a background of the ME conflict. Then he defines the parameters of the Israel lobby and its influence, lumping neocons in with the lobby. The he describes what the lobby did with respect to the Palestinians, Iraq war, Syria, Iran, and Lebanon.

It is a one-sided polemic. But they consider every counterargument that was raised to their original paper and are careful in their conclusions.

It did not diminish my respect for Jews or for Israel; as a matter of fact, my respect was enhanced, because Israelis and American Jews provided most of the primary source material for their evidence. Many Israelis are quite honest in their scholarship. And many Jews are Israel's most vociferous critics.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote