cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

In-n-Out is a great tasting, cheap burger. But even more, it's fresh. It doesn't feel like the greasy gut bomb burgers you get from other fast food joints. This is what pushes In-n-Out above Crown/Astro Burger in my eyes.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I'll admit, I thought the hype for In-N-Out was a bit much. But I'll give it to them, for their prices, the burger I ate was delicious. No question it is hands down better than Chadders, and was pretty tasty.

I upset my wife a bit when I brought our order back to the table and proceeded to down a 4x4. I told her if I was going to do In-N-Out, I was going to do it right. I did forget to order a shake, but my old man did and it looked pretty good. I'm sure we'll eat there again, so I'll have to give it a go.

As far as true Fast Food goes, In-N-Out is head and shoulders above the McDonalds/Burger King/Carl's Jr chains, and IMO is in the same league as a Big Ben's Burger Bar. Of course, I was raised on Burger Bar, so that may be what I lean towards for a good burger. But In-N-Out didn't disappoint me either. Were they in Utah, I'd be a regular.
My wife gets mad at me if I have a double-double, I can only imagine how she would react if I had a 4x4
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #23
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
My wife gets mad at me if I have a double-double, I can only imagine how she would react if I had a 4x4
I do not either! I merely point out that nobody needs 46 grams of fat in one meal.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I just bought the stuff to do this for my game time BBQ tomorrow. Can't wait. Thanks for the suggestion.
An anxious nation awaits your findings. Seriously, out of the mouths of two or three witnesses shall the menu for our Friday evening soiree be established, and Surfah's recipe sounds enticing. I await your review.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I do not either! I merely point out that nobody needs 46 grams of fat in one meal.
Translation: You still nag and give him shit for it, instead of letting him enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
An anxious nation awaits your findings. Seriously, out of the mouths of two or three witnesses shall the menu for our Friday evening soiree be established, and Surfah's recipe sounds enticing. I await your review.
We are doing this recipe for lunch today. I will post my findings in about 4 hours.

I am excited, though.

Besides Obama, nobody stirs the masses into a frenzy like Surfah.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Translation: You still nag and give him shit for it, instead of letting him enjoy it.
Hey, she has to sleep with him. Maybe she wants the MP funk with the toned sexy core and not the one that air humps to Journey's Separate Ways.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Besides Obama, nobody stirs the masses into a frenzy like Surfah.
It's true. Style over substance.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I mix a good ground Angus or sirloin and mild Italian sausage. Usually a pound and a half of beef to a pound of pork sausage. I usually crack an egg or two to bind and keep moist. I then usually add a liberal amount of salt, pepper and A1 sauce or Worcestershire (probably around 1/3 C). I make huge patties about an inch thick. Throw them on a hot clean grill. Sometimes I'll even brush the grill with oil or the meat to get nice grill marks. I usually add a nice melting cheese like provolone and white American. A nice thick cut bacon baked in the oven is a nice topper also.
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #30
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!
Sounds great. I may have to try the spicier route sometime. I love pepper jack. Avocado would be great as a topper to cool the palate just as your pineapple would. Lots of variations to this. But like you said the beef and sausage mixture is the key. Glad you liked it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote