cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 11-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Haws

9 points on 3-9 shooting, 5 turnovers. Missed a breakaway dunk as the guy behind him caught him.

Yet played more minutes than anyone else on the team (34 minutes).

He is shooting 37.5% for the season, with 2.5 assists and 2.5 turnovers per game.

He is very much a rough unfinished product so far.

Dribbled the ball off his foot during one break.

I hope the light bulb turns on for him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
9 points on 3-9 shooting, 5 turnovers. Missed a breakaway dunk as the guy behind him caught him.

Yet played more minutes than anyone else on the team (34 minutes).

He is shooting 37.5% for the season, with 2.5 assists and 2.5 turnovers per game.

He is very much a rough unfinished product so far.

Dribbled the ball off his foot during one break.

I hope the light bulb turns on for him.
He played lights out in the first game against the best team we've played so far. There will be some ups and downs just like there was with Emery last year.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes, and you bring up Emery. I wonder if he's gotten any better than last year. I hope they can learn to take advantage of Mika. Play inside-out. Let Mika open up the floor for them. And I think Rose needs to start punishing players for stupid low-percentage shots. This green-light anytime anywhere any-situation needs to end. These kids don't value possessions.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, and you bring up Emery. I wonder if he's gotten any better than last year. I hope they can learn to take advantage of Mika. Play inside-out. Let Mika open up the floor for them. And I think Rose needs to start punishing players for stupid low-percentage shots. This green-light anytime anywhere any-situation needs to end. These kids don't value possessions.
He is not D1 worthy right now.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Haws looks awful. Feet stuck in concrete, his outside shots...are not even close. Just absolute bricks. Horrible defender. Game is too fast. Turnovers. Some horrible passes. He had some slow-footed floaters at the end, but he's just like his brother--except for the fact he can't shoot and is a worse defender (Tyler was a bad defender). This Haws is an atrocious defender.

Congratulations, we have found our "white guy who is mysteriously getting tons of minutes while better players sit the bench, who doesn't even try on defense."

Rose loves these guys.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:26 AM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Haws looks awful. Feet stuck in concrete, his outside shots...are not even close. Just absolute bricks. Horrible defender. Game is too fast. Turnovers. Some horrible passes. He had some slow-footed floaters at the end, but he's just like his brother--except for the fact he can't shoot and is a worse defender (Tyler was a bad defender). This Haws is an atrocious defender.

Congratulations, we have found our "white guy who is mysteriously getting tons of minutes while better players sit the bench, who doesn't even try on defense."

Rose loves these guys.
Haws got benched for a pretty long stretch tonight in the middle then came in and played better. Had 16 points I think by the time it was done. 6-14 from the field, which isn't that bad for an outside player -- one more shot bouncing in is 50%. 8 games into it off a mission I don't think is enough time to declare he hopelessly sucks.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-04-2016 at 02:39 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One thing we know for sure. He's not an athlete and won't ever be a good defender.

We know that because of what we see on the floor now, and also from his brother. Genetics.

The idea of him playing PG is laughable. Imagine him trying to guard ANY pointguard.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One thing we know for sure. He's not an athlete and won't ever be a good defender.

We know that because of what we see on the floor now, and also from his brother. Genetics.

The idea of him playing PG is laughable. Imagine him trying to guard ANY pointguard.
This team has its best frontline in years and it has no guards. It is a curse to love BYU sports.

We have become a women's sports schools. The volleyball team is down in Austin to play the 4th ranked horns in the Sweet Sixteen.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:02 AM   #9
BlueK

I'm old enough to have seen Marty Haws play. He was a state champion sprinter in HS and I don't know if I've yet seen a faster basketball player at BYU. The family has some athleticism. Sure, NBA athleticism is a different animal. Tyler is the least athletic. TJ is quicker but he's three years removed from playing competitive basketball. He'll be ok.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm old enough to have watched Marty Haws play too. He was okay, nothing special. I remember him dunking and them making a big deal of it. On a breakaway. It wasn't an athletic dunk. It was the kind of dunk that kinda barely made it, that he could only do if on a breakaway.

TJ is not going to suddenly develop quick twitch explosiveness. He might get a little better, just like Tyler did his senior season. Tyler worked his butt off to get more athletic. He improved, but it was in the margins. And it wasn't enough to even sniff the NBA. He wasn't even athletic for the WCC.

TJ will have to be good on the basis of being smart and skilled, period.