cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Stimulus is not stimulus but waste. Not all spending stimulates key sectors. Any analysis that simply says, give to the poor because they must spend is misguided and naive.

My prediction is that Obama blew it with this bill and we will endure a lost Decade of our own thanks to Obama's miscalculations and waste bill. We needed stimulus if you believe in that sort of thing, not waste and mismanagement.

How does spending on the GAO add a multiplier to the economy?
There are well-considered economists who consider the current Senate bill to be inadequate, not up to the task: http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11663869?source=rss

The CBO and Mark Zandi agree the Senate compromise is less efficacious: http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...b_numbers.html

I don't think anyone would argue that every item in the bills offers a 1+ multiplier, but considering the amount of tax cuts included, and that even suboptimal spending does *something* to get economic activity going, I think the bill is a decent beginning, certainly not the end of needed spending.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 02-11-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote