cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 AM   #31
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

The sin against the Holy Ghost has always been a great intrest of mine. I've come to believe that you can be forgiven for it but will never choose to be. The sin is to just absolutly not want what God has to offer you. Its to choose darkness over light because the darkness is attractive to you.

JST MATTHEW 12: 37-38

37 Then came some of the Scribes and said unto him, Master, it is written that, Every sin shall be forgiven; but ye say, Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven. And they asked him, saying, How can these things be?
38 And he said unto them, When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest and findeth none; but when a man speaketh against the Holy Ghost, then he saith, I will return into my house from when I came out; and when he is come, he findeth him empty, swept and garnished; for the good spirit leaveth him unto himself
Old 02-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

So is anyone going to respond my post?

I'm curious...those who support abortion rights, explain to me how a partial birth or late term abortion is NOT killing a human life.

Those in support of abortion don't seem interested in answering this question.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #33
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
those who support abortion rights, explain to me how a partial birth or late term abortion is NOT killing a human life.
I'm not one of "those in support of abortion" but I'll bowl for the other team here for a second just to keep the game going...

The pro-choice camp bases their argument mostly on the common law.

The common definition of "life" is independant respiration and circulation. Until it is out, the cord is cut, and it is breathing on its own, it isn't a "human life" under the common law definition. Despite what the fetus "may" become or how we feel about it, the black letter law of our country does not recognize a fetus as a live human.

Ergo (I love using that word), you cannot kill that which is not alive.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #34
RockyBalboa

I'm not asking about common law. I'm asking those who believe in abortion rights to explain to me how a late term or partial birth abortion is not killing?

A law does not make something truth.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #35
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
I'm not asking about common law. I'm asking those who believe in abortion rights to explain to me how a late term or partial birth abortion is not killing?

A law does not make something truth.
You can't see the forrest because you're looking at the trees.

The common law got that way becaus that is what they believe. They believe it isn't alive until it is born. Therefore it isn't killing because it isn't alive.

You're making the mistake of assuming that they (people who defent late term abortion) share your belief about when "life" begins.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

Actually that's not the case even a tiny bit.

But since that's their viewpoint you're showing forth,,,then maybe they can answer a question as to why a baby who can be born at 6-7 months along can live a long vibrant life....... But if it can be aborted and not be considered killing a human life?

Either way,,it leads back to my original question.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 AM   #37
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Actually that's not the case even a tiny bit.

But since that's their viewpoint you're showing forth,,,then maybe they can answer a question as to why a baby who can be born at 6-7 months along can live a long vibrant life....... But if it can be aborted and not be considered killing a human life?

Either way,,it leads back to my original question.
Who's on first?
Right...
No! What's the name of the guy who plays first base?
No... What's on second. Who's on first...
Old 02-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #38
RockyBalboa

LOL......so does anyone who believes in abortion rights, including late term and partial birth abortions,,, care to answer my question BESIDES Hippie.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #39
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL......so does anyone who believes in abortion rights, including late term and partial birth abortions,,, care to answer my question BESIDES Hippie.
partial birth abortions are about as common as normal lds girls living in utah, in their thirties.....

it happens so infrequently is virtually is a non-issue....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #40
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with RvW and all that is that abortion isn't a political problem, it's a social symptom to a social problem. You can outlaw abortion, but you're not going to stop people from behaving irresponsibly with regards to procreation and dealing with the consequences of their actions. That's the real problem and you ain't gonna legislate that away.

Prohibitions don't seem to work well. Alcohol prohibition didn't exactly work out. We made drugs illegal in the 30's (20's? whatever) and look how well *that* turned out.

The thing is, the *real* issue is hardly divisive at all: people need to not get pregnant if they're not able to take responsibility for their actions. Most people I know who support abortion rights (obviously this isn't indicative of all people who are pro-abortion) would agree with this. This is the problem that needs to be acted on.

To me, the abortion debate is yet another red-herring around which the glorious two parties can rally their troops and make themselves feel important.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote