cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PC tolerance:

I know it's not pc to analyze pc tolerance, how ironic it really is.

Even Alan Dershowitz, who probably disagrees with me on almost every political perspective, berued the recent dismissal of the Harvard President or Provost, due to some PC loudmouths.

But what is odd, is how some disgusting acts, the PC cops find acceptable, but others they do not.

If somebody is a closet Nazi, even though he doesn't ever plan on hurting anybody, that person is probably rightfully viewed distastefully.

If somebody says he's a male homosexual, rarely do the PC cops discuss how disgusting the act really is, but rather start waxing eloquent about rights and discrimination without ever shinning microscope on the disgusting act.

Or, you have Harvard loudmouths shouting down a perfectly good President, because he didn't share their points of view. Where is their protection of a person's right of expression?

I'm certain there are other examples of tolerable and intolerable disgusting behavior. And somebody will rush in, stating, well what is disgusting is in the eye of the beholder. Of course, Sherlock, but some things are generally viewed as disgusting without redeeming virtue.

I also remember when the Chicago Bull coach called the LDS Church a cult, and nobody took offense; yet a certain sports commentator made a stupid, ill-informed comment about why blacks are better, and he lost his job. Despite what PC cops say, they really are just bullies who have no sense of justice or right or wrong, but they just have the bullwhip now, and they like it.

I can't remember where it is written about our time being such that good will be called bad and bad will be called good. These times are certainly these times.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PC tolerance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
If somebody says he's a male homosexual, rarely do the PC cops discuss how disgusting the act really is, but rather start waxing eloquent about rights and discrimination without ever shinning microscope on the disgusting act.
Hmmm..... Yet another reference to homosexuals and that "disgusting act".

Have you considered changing your moniker to "Col. Frank Fitts"?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope.

But defenders of the perps can't defend the act. Strange isn't it, that you're ashamed of something you defend.

Now we lawyers become accumstomed to being ashamed of some of our clients, we just learn to hide it better.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Nope.

But defenders of the perps can't defend the act. Strange isn't it, that you're ashamed of something you defend.

Now we lawyers become accumstomed to being ashamed of some of our clients, we just learn to hide it better.
Aye aye, Colonel. :wink:
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am politically incorrect and proud to be so. If someone is offended by something I say, it's not my problem. Now, I don't go out of my way to say somthing that could be considered offensive to others, but I certainly don't check my tounge if I feel I need to make my point.

IMO, politcal correctness stifles one's 1st Amendment right of free speech. I'm also of the opinion that people who say things that might offend others should have to accept any criticism that comes there way as a result. We don't necessarily deserve to have our cake and eat it when it comes to free speech.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Same with me Il Pad.

I'm Politically Incorrect sometimes and I don't give a shit if people like that about me or not.

One of the most ironic and awful arguments of the left are those who demand that the most salacious and worst of behavior and acts in society are a right, which of course they are,,,,but yet don't want to admit or become horrified at the thought that bad behavior leads to bad consequences.

We live in a society devoid of any real personal accountability & responsibiltiy and the left is wrought with the stench of it. For that matter, a lot of that reigns with both parties.

Most of what comes out of the mouths of liberals is pure hubris.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PC tolerance:

Quote:
If somebody is a closet Nazi, even though he doesn't ever plan on hurting anybody, that person is probably rightfully viewed distastefully.

Are you really disappointed because homosexuals don't receive the same disapprobation as nazis? I honestly struggle to understand your antipathy towards all things homosexual.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

By the way, "political correctness" gets my vote as the most hijacked phrase in the English language. It is so distorted and abused that it has lost almost all meaning.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
By the way, "political correctness" gets my vote as the most hijacked phrase in the English language. It is so distorted and abused that it has lost almost all meaning.
I call it a tie with "judicial activism."
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
berued the recent dismissal of the Harvard President or Provost
"Berued"? Dictionary.com couldn't find that word, but it suggested as a replacement, "berried" - does that mean he had a bad week, and they demoted him in favor a young internet legend who farts lightning?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote