cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Fool proof way to get out of a calling

If you're asked to do a calling you're not happy about.

"Are you sure this is inspired of God? I have been seeking revelation about my service in the church and that doesn't exactly jibe with my promptings. Can you go back and pray about it one more time?"

Most bishops will usually fold at this point, and you go unscathed. He suspects you're bullshitting him, but he's not sure.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

that's not foolproof.

the foolproof way is to say 'no.'
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's not foolproof.

the foolproof way is to say 'no.'
Then you lose your status as one of the most speerchul of the ward.

Not clever enough.

You need a Utah experience to hone your skills.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I guess "get out of" and "refuse to do" can be two different things.

Of course, I tried unsuccessfully to get fired as RS teacher for 3 years until I just eventually asked to be released. I have to say, it took them about 3 seconds to agree to do it.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If you're asked to do a calling you're not happy about.

"Are you sure this is inspired of God? I have been seeking revelation about my service in the church and that doesn't exactly jibe with my promptings. Can you go back and pray about it one more time?"

Most bishops will usually fold at this point, and you go unscathed. He suspects you're bullshitting him, but he's not sure.
A couple of years ago my mom needed to find a substitute for nursery for just one Sunday. She called one of the parents of a nursery aged kid and asked her to do it. The woman replied "oh, I'll need to pray about it and I'll get back to you tomorrow". The next day she called back and said she'd received a prompting that being in the nursery was not what she needed to be doing on that Sunday.

In all my years in the church, I've never heard of anyone pulling the prompting excuse to this extent. Pretty entertaining stuff.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
A couple of years ago my mom needed to find a substitute for nursery for just one Sunday. She called one of the parents of a nursery aged kid and asked her to do it. The woman replied "oh, I'll need to pray about it and I'll get back to you tomorrow". The next day she called back and said she'd received a prompting that being in the nursery was not what she needed to be doing on that Sunday.

In all my years in the church, I've never heard of anyone pulling the prompting excuse to this extent. Pretty entertaining stuff.
I am so stealing that.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I didnt get out of my calling, but I definitely modified it on my own.

Over the summer, we lost about 4 of our Priests to college. Now there are only 3 left. Of the 3, only 1 attends regularly.

After about 3 weeks of teaching 1 Priest, I had enough.

I told the Bishop that starting the next week, we would combine the Priests and teachers together 3 times a month. I would rotate with the teacher in that group to help with the lesson every other week. And I also said I would attend EQ every 4th Sunday (5th Sunday also, if applicable). I didnt ask. I simply said it would be so.

When he balked, I said that it felt like the right thing to do. That was the last conversation we had on that topic.

Don't underestimate the power of promptings.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Even over the phone, I do not think I could do this without laughing.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Excellent.

I just say no. This seems to be a more effective way, as how can one argue with promptings of the Spirit?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Excellent.

I just say no. This seems to be a more effective way, as how can one argue with promptings of the Spirit?
Or you could pretend to repent of a "grave" sin, only to repent later of lying about committing the sin. That way you remain disqualified for the serious sin, and then as a liar, the Bishop won't be able to trust you, so you won't be invited again.