cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've decided that I need to get back into shape...

and have decided that cycling is the way I'm going to do it. My question is about equipment:

I've decided that I'm going to purchase a Bianchi, but for those of you who are cyclists, should I purchase an "entry level" - for lack of a better term - bike or should I spend the extra money and get a bike that a more serious cyclist would ride?

I talked to one of the techs's at a local shop here and his suggestion was that it would be better to buy a more expensive bike so I wouldn't have to upgrade from a lesser bike. I suppose that makes sense, but is he trying to just get me to spend more money or dies he make a legitimate point? If I go with the lesser bike, is there any need to upgrade at all?

I plan on riding to get into shape and have no plans or desire to even think about riding on any compeitive level.

What say ye? Any advice would be most appreciated.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you can get started at the entry level with anything that they carry. Many of the frames that you are probably looking at are going to the be the same as those on the bikes several hundred dollars more. The difference is the compenents.

The components are the spendy part of the bike and are mainly there to improve the quality of shifting, smoothness of the ride, etc. The high end stuff is all about decreasing weight, but for most of us just trying to get in/stay in shape, who cares about a few extra grams.

Check out the components and let us know what they have. We can give you an idea if they would fit your goals for riding.

I bought my first bike several years ago for next to nothing while I figured out if I was going to like the sport. I put over 2000 miles on it the first year and more than got my moneys worth. When I decided I liked it, I upgraded and was happy with my decision.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default I'll do that...

It's my understanding that the components are very important so I'll ask and report back.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default Ok, I'm back with info...

I went to the BianchiUSa website and pulled up links to the two bikes I'm considering. The first is the lower end:

<http://bianchiusa.com/1433.html>

the other is:

<http://bianchiusa.com/1436.html>

Hope this gives you enough info to help me make an informed decision. And I hope the links work as well, as I'm having trouble with HTML codes on this site for some reason.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i started with low end and still ride it. Now after 3 years, I am interestedin upgrading. So it probably doesn't hurt to start on low end. If you buy for 600 and sell for 200, that's way different than starting at 2k.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It depends on interest level and budget

I know a little about your budget, but I'll not reveal it. Thus we wil discuss it generally.

Budgetwise persons not related to certain lawyers' wives would argue that you should purchase an entry level bike to see if you enjoy the sport. My question to you is what type a person are you? Are you the type who typically starts a lot of projects but rarely finishes one? If so, get the cheaper bike.

One problem from my perspective, warped as it is, the cheaper bikes, good when compared to yesterday's bikes, are less comfortable than more expensive bikes.

If you give it a fair shot, I've not me anybody who hasn't enjoyed biking.

Componetry is important.

You'll probably be advised to buy Shimano, a more economical choice than Campy, even though you are an Italian lover, for two reasons. The componetry is cheaper, and cheaper to fix by a long shot.

Some people will say 105 componetry is okay. I don't like that level, but I like fluid motions. I recommend Ultegra, unless you can afford Durace, top of the line, unless you modify cranks and what not.

High expense focuses upon two factors, comfort and weight. The lighter the more expensive. Comfort also requires more expensive workmanship.

Heavier guys like aluminum, but it breaks down with lots of weight and power. Carbon is probably the best buy, and you can find reasonably priced bikes in that range. Titanium is the worst buy but a great ride for lighter guys.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

They are both decent bikes. Obviously the 1436 has nicer componentry and is going to be a bit pricier.

Shimano and Campy and the primary parts makers for shifters, brakes, cassettes, etc. I'm much more familiar with Shimano and therefore am more partial to it. I agree with Archaea that dollar for dollar, Ultegra is the way to go. Dura Ace is way overpriced and in no way worth buying unless you are getting paid to ride. I rode Shimano Sora for 2 years on my beater bike and did just fine for >200 miles. If you don't know any different, there is little to complain about.

Others are fiercely loyal to Campy, some even going as far as getting it tatooed on their backs. As I understand it, there is a slightly different feel when shifting. The shifters are also a slightly different configuration, but is not a huge deal once you're comfortble with them.

The 1436 also has a fairly decent wheelset, as compaired to the 1433. I think this is an important part of the bike, as it is the only thing keeping you wheelside down when riding.

Definitely go with the clipless pedals, as both of these bikes have, if you plan on sticking with it. Requires a specific pair of shoes and cleats, but makes a huge difference for comfort and control of the bike.

I also think its a good idea to go with the triple ring crankset, especially if you plan on riding any kind of hills/mountains.

I wish I knew more about Bianchi. They seem like decent bikes for the price. It's good to see that they finally went away from the mint green frame color that they were famous for.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default They've got it set up for Campy componets

the 1436.

I believe this is an aluminum bike, something Bianchi is famous for.

Campy is fine, but it's pricier. The thumb configuration is different than Shimano, but you're not familiar with either, so it won't matter.

I do notice a difference between 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace, but that's just me.

Campy handles just fine, but for the price, I wouldn't get it. Campy also breaks more often than Shimano.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default I appreciate all these comments..

I'll look into other bikes nefore I make a final decision. This particular shop that I've visited is pretty much deals Bianchi exclusively, but more importantly, it's close to my home and I'm too lazy to have to go very far.

I plan on making this more than a casual hobby - I want and need to get into shape and stay in shape. Cycling seems to be the best way to go.

I'll keep you updated about my decisions and keep asking more questions. You've been a lot of help today.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It depends on interest level and budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

Some people will say 105 componetry is okay. I don't like that level, but I like fluid motions. I recommend Ultegra, unless you can afford Durace, top of the line, unless you modify cranks and what not.

Arch I honestly cannot feel a bit of difference between 105's and Ultegra. I like to think of 105's as the toyota Camry of componentry, boring but pretty reliable. Kind of a moot point anyway these days though as Ultegra has gotten so cheap.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote