cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Jennerstein

Jennerstein
Default I'm worried about our QB position

First off, just wanted to say: So this is where are the good posters went. Glad I won't have to dig through 20 pages a day to find a Goatnapper or PaloAlto gem.

Anyways, I'm not much of a worry wart, but I'm a bit worried about our QB situation, aside from Max Hall. There are two things that concern me.

The first is that it seems the pipeline is kind of clogged (Goat, help with the scatological jokes?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Lark and Munns (assuming he doesn't go on a mission) in the same competing class... a result of Lark delaying his mission for an extra semester? And the earliest we'd get another QB recruit (Heaps?) would be 2009. Thus, 2010 is 2007 all over again.

The second thing that is a bit disconcerting is that we really don't know how good a judge of quarterback talent Bronco, Doman, and company are, and we won't know until sometime in 2010-2012. We lucked out with Hall, who pretty much fell into our laps because Olson decided to go prima on us. And aside from that, our only precedence for QB development are the two QB's who took off Oregon, and a Nevada walkon (Gaskin). I'm not yet convinced that the program has a QB guru, like a Chow, Sarkisian, or Leach that knows how to develop its QB. The success of BYU depends on its QB proficiency to a greater extent than other college programs.

Here's to hoping that come 2010 (and no sooner), we'll be singing Doman and Anae's praises...but I'm crossing my fingers.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
First off, just wanted to say: So this is where are the good posters went. Glad I won't have to dig through 20 pages a day to find a Goatnapper or PaloAlto gem.

Anyways, I'm not much of a worry wart, but I'm a bit worried about our QB situation, aside from Max Hall. There are two things that concern me.

The first is that it seems the pipeline is kind of clogged (Goat, help with the scatological jokes?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Lark and Munns (assuming he doesn't go on a mission) in the same competing class... a result of Lark delaying his mission for an extra semester? And the earliest we'd get another QB recruit (Heaps?) would be 2009. Thus, 2010 is 2007 all over again.

The second thing that is a bit disconcerting is that we really don't know how good a judge of quarterback talent Bronco, Doman, and company are, and we won't know until sometime in 2010-2012. We lucked out with Hall, who pretty much fell into our laps because Olson decided to go prima on us. And aside from that, our only precedence for QB development are the two QB's who took off Oregon, and a Nevada walkon (Gaskin). I'm not yet convinced that the program has a QB guru, like a Chow, Sarkisian, or Leach that knows how to develop its QB. The success of BYU depends on its QB proficiency to a greater extent than other college programs.

Here's to hoping that come 2010 (and no sooner), we'll be singing Doman and Anae's praises...but I'm crossing my fingers.
Glad you're here! (Jennerstein and I have known each other since we were ~15 years old.)

I live on CG too, although my posts don't rise close to goatnapper quality.

I think BYU will always have an easy time finding QBs, TEs, linemen, and LBs, and a hard time finding CBs and WRs. It seems like there are always several great LDS QBs coming out each year. I think we'll do fine with the QBs, but who knows?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

BYU will be going after 1, possibly 2 QB's for the 09' Class. A High Schooler and a JC guy. There's a lot of conjecture/rumor that BYU will go after Riley Nelson when he gets home,,,but that doesn't do much for me.

With the way the Lark and Munns mission scenarios are turning out they've been left little choice but to do so. Munns is likely leaving this Summer,,,which means you're right in that he and Lark will return still part of the same class, but with Lark having a year of eligibility on him.

Heaps is a 2010 recruit.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
BYU will be going after 1, possibly 2 QB's for the 09' Class. A High Schooler and a JC guy. There's a lot of conjecture/rumor that BYU will go after Riley Nelson when he gets home,,,but that doesn't do much for me.

With the way the Lark and Munns mission scenarios are turning out they've been left little choice but to do so. Munns is likely leaving this Summer,,,which means you're right in that he and Lark will return still part of the same class, but with Lark having a year of eligibility on him.

Heaps is a 2010 recruit.
I have the solution. Lark needs to serve his mission until about eh, 1st week of October. He then comes home to Dixie, works out for two months to lose the 9 month mission rust and then returns to BYU for Spring Ball. He loses no elgibility for this year and will be a RS Sophmore in 2009 with two 3 fall camps and two spring practice sessions under his belt. He develops seriously for a year as the heir apparant and then takes over as an experienced junior after Hall. He will be good, program keeps winning and ALUFs have the opportunity to whine about his shortened mission and tell the world how they are more spiritual and gospel devoted than he. Everyone is happy!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I have the solution. Lark needs to serve his mission until about eh, 1st week of October. He then comes home to Dixie, works out for two months to lose the 9 month mission rust and then returns to BYU for Spring Ball. He loses no elgibility for this year and will be a RS Sophmore in 2009 with two 3 fall camps and two spring practice sessions under his belt. He develops seriously for a year as the heir apparant and then takes over as an experienced junior after Hall. He will be good, program keeps winning and ALUFs have the opportunity to whine about his shortened mission and tell the world how they are more spiritual and gospel devoted than he. Everyone is happy!
That would be funny to see the ALUF's get pissed about that. Unfortunately for Lark the coaches like Munns more.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That would be funny to see the ALUF's get pissed about that. Unfortunately for Lark the coaches like Munns more.
To be sure, it makes me no nevermind who does a truncated mission, just as long as they stay in the mission field long enough to not use up a year of elgibility in 2008 and are back in time for spring ball. If they like Munns that much going on a mission will be very hard for the kid.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

We could have Nate Longshore call off his engagement, send him on a mission and have him back for the 2010 year. From what I've heard Cal will go with that Riley kid and Longshore will need somewhere to play in the future.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

According to TBS, Munns has not decided yet on a mission. Ideally Munns does not go on a mission and is Halls successor.

2008- Hall (jr), Munns (rs fresh), Lark (mission)
2009- Hall (sr), Munns (rs soph), Lark (mission)
2010- Munns (jr), Lark (soph)
2011- Munns (sr), Lark (jr)
2012- Lark (sr)

This would be the ideal situation. Goat can you send some ladies to Jasons dorm room?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
According to TBS, Munns has not decided yet on a mission. Ideally Munns does not go on a mission and is Halls successor.

2008- Hall (jr), Munns (rs fresh), Lark (mission)
2009- Hall (sr), Munns (rs soph), Lark (mission)
2010- Munns (jr), Lark (soph)
2011- Munns (sr), Lark (jr)
2012- Lark (sr)

This would be the ideal situation. Goat can you send some ladies to Jasons dorm room?
That does sound ideal. What's the scoop with Riley Nelson? I watched part of a game and followed his stats a little. I thought he was pretty good for a true frosh.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That does sound ideal. What's the scoop with Riley Nelson? I watched part of a game and followed his stats a little. I thought he was pretty good for a true frosh.
I think Nelson would be better suited to play in a spread offense. He runs the ball well, but imo has an average arm at best. He is however a playmaker.