cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
First, let's assume it's true that the growth in the Evangelical church(es) currently outpaces the LDS church (which certainly wouldn't be the case in my branch which has had 110 converts in the last 24 months).

My explanation for that would simply be that it's easier for someone to commit to a church that doesn't demand as much sacrifice of its members as the LDS Church does. You can slice that "required sacrifice" any number of ways and I think that statement still holds.

I'm not sure which, if any, Evangelical churches would refuse the baptism of potential converts because they currently have legal, moral or Word of Wisdom issues.

I think that's bad logic since LDS has been one of the fastest growing churches, along with JW, who also require a great deal of their members. There was also a reference that militant Islam is also growing fast, which I'm sure requires sacrifice of their members--though I don't know if that was a joke or not.

But anyway, the other issue here is that according to Mike's link on fastest growing religions, LDS is still at the top and no Evangelical demoninations were listed. The only reference to fast growth for Evangelicals is noting that the movement started in the 1920's and now outnumbers LDS. But that's not apples to apples comparison because Evangelical movement is simply a movement within already existing churches--not a new religion recruiting new members like LDS.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The point of course is that the LDS Church has trumpeted their purportedly spectacular growth rate, at least implying that this was some kind of evidence God was on their side.
Says you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yes, Islam has cited amazing its growth as evidence that it is God's one true faith, on much stronger evidence. By the time Islam was 100 years old it was over half the way to converting/conquering the entire known world.
Indeed. Nothing like the threat of death to get those converts pouring in.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'll take SU's job on this one but without the lame, witty remark. I'll just tell you straight up how stupid you are--extremely.
Coming from you I consider that a compliment.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Says you.

Indeed. Nothing like the threat of death to get those converts pouring in.

In its early centuries Islam was more tolerant than Christianity of other beliefs, those that weren't pagan that is. All Christians and Jews in Islam occupied areas had to do was pay a tax and they could worship as they desired. In the early centuries of Islam many of the Christian churches converted into mosques were divided in half and shared between Christians and Muslims. But with the Muslim empire (Umayyad dynasty) a new superpower many gladly converted. It was like obtaining American citizenship today. Islam today is a husk of what it once was.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
First, let's assume it's true that the growth in the Evangelical church(es) currently outpaces the LDS church (which certainly wouldn't be the case in my branch which has had 110 converts in the last 24 months).

My explanation for that would simply be that it's easier for someone to commit to a church that doesn't demand as much sacrifice of its members as the LDS Church does. You can slice that "required sacrifice" any number of ways and I think that statement still holds.

I'm not sure which, if any, Evangelical churches would refuse the baptism of potential converts because they currently have legal, moral or Word of Wisdom issues.
Most of the recent research that I have seen has shown that the fastest growing religions that have a high price for entry, through changes in behavior and social perception, such as Mormonism, Assemblies of God, Seventh Day Adventists.

The other thing driving growth is conservative doctrine, which plays well with those who are likely to choose to join a religion. In particular this is effective in the third world, where more traditional beliefs hold sway. The old line Protestant churches are struggling big time, as they try to make their first world members happy at the expense of developing world possible converts.

These developments point to why the religions are doing well. Oh, and for SU, in the case of Mormonism, the growth is explained by the by the extreme truth content of the message, and because of God's will that all people hear the truth of the almighty on this earth or in the hereafter.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote