cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Joe Glenn get a public reprimand?

So, his team gets worked over 50-0, and he flips the bird to the Ute staff.

Will Joe receive one of Craig Thompson's famous public reprimands?

Yes, says I. Adding insult to inujury. No more half peace signs for you, Joe.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

What I dont get is why he did not go with the double eagle salute. I mean if you are going to melt down, you should at least Chernobyl. Would have been nice for him to tell his team to stay on the field. "This game isn't over!"
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
So, his team gets worked over 50-0, and he flips the bird to the Ute staff.

Will Joe receive one of Craig Thompson's famous public reprimands?

Yes, says I. Adding insult to inujury. No more half peace signs for you, Joe.
I have a hard time blaming the guy. What Whit did was among the all time un-classiest moves I have ever seen in sports. Can you imagine being humiliated the way Wyo was being humiliated (after sticking your career on the line with a stupid comment before the game about guaranteeing a win), just to have the opposing coach then do an onside kick and keep piling on the score with trick plays?

How many here wouldn't have flipped the guy off?

Glenn was wrong to do it. He should have been more disciplined. But to make the story about Glenn's lack of class is seriously missing the boat on this one, I think.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have a hard time blaming the guy. What Whit did was among the all time un-classiest moves I have ever seen in sports. Can you imagine being humiliated the way Wyo was being humiliated (after sticking your career on the line with a stupid comment before the game about guaranteeing a win), just to have the opposing coach then do an onside kick and keep piling on the score with trick plays?

Glenn was wrong to do it. He should have been more disciplined. But to make the story about Glenn's lack of class is seriously missing the boat on this one, I think.
Cali, I knew you were a wuss when you came out for Obama and now I'm really sure of it. Nine times out of ten a team does an onside kick and gives the other side terrific field advantage. If an onside kick was such a ruthless thing teams would do it every kick off. It's a desperation play that 90% of the time backfires. People who are criticizing Whittingham for this have lost their minds. The onside kick was an act of mercy.

Still, I'm even ambivalent about this no-RUTS etiquette. What the hell for? If there's one thing we learned from Rick Majers and Urban Meyer, sports is war. I've never complained about the enemy running up the score.

If I were a Wyoming fan I'd want Glenn fired less because he lost to Utah 50-0 than because he's a wuss. Giving Utah's staff the finger was the most craven, pitiful thing I've ever seen a coach do. If Wyoming's president has any class the guy will be gone this week. Glenn is a piece of dung.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Really folks, a DI college coach flipping the bird? That's is what is intolerable. If I were Wyoming's president the guy would be out the door for cause (no buy out) by 9:00 a.m. on Monday. Let him sue me and see how far he gets having made the fuck you sign while being ostenisbly the steward of college kids.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I don't disagree, but from a MWC PR standpoint, nobody is going to ever say, "You were up 43-0 you shouldn't have done that." However, the finger could potentially get some national coverage, and that is why Thompson might be forced to do something. It's always the second guy that gets caught.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Cali, I knew you were a wuss when you came out for Obama and now I'm really sure of it. Nine times out of ten a team does an onside kick and gives the other side terrific field advantage. If an onside kick was such a ruthless thing teams would do it every kick off. It's a desperation play that 90% of the time backfires. People who are criticizing Whittingham for this have lost their minds. The onside kick was an act of mercy.

Still, I'm even ambivalent about this no-RUTS etiquette. What the hell for? If there's one thing we learned from Rick Majers and Urban Meyer, sports is war. I've never complained about the enemy running up the score.

If I were a Wyoming fan I'd want Glenn fired less because he lost to Utah 50-0 than because he's a wuss. Giving Utah's staff the finger was the most craven, pitiful thing I've ever seen a coach do. If Wyoming's president has any class the guy will be gone this week. Glenn is a piece of dung.
An act of mercy, designed to give the other team the ball? Are you kidding? This is trolling, but it is a weak effort of it.

If it was designed to give the other team the ball, why not just kick it and let them get it? Was it a sign of mercy to then throw deep into the end zone after the onside kick? Were the trick plays carefully calculated to fail too?

Come on, SU. This is the worst line of reasoning you have ever attempted on this board.

Sports isn't war. War is war. But thanks for your thoughts, Winslow.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't have anything against Joe Glenn, but he got what he deserved. You go into someone's house and guarantee a win, fine. But you'd better back it up or at least take your punishment like a man when you can't. I actually respect Kyle more for running up the score the way he did. Glenn deserved the beatdown and any criticism/punishment he gets for flippin the bird.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I bet it really pisses you off that KW is a Republican.

I'm not making any excuse for KW, but if Joe Glenn doesn't shoot of his mouth, this never happens. Glenn invited it upon his team.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I bet it really pisses you off that KW is a Republican.

I'm not making any excuse for KW, but if Joe Glenn doesn't shoot of his mouth, this never happens. Glenn invited it upon his team.
I think you just did make an excuse.