cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Maybe instead of blaming the church you should blame the government that taxes people to the point that they become tightwads with everything leftover.
Forced charity creates resentment in the giver. Maybe people just feel like the government takes enough of their money that they should be doing something productive with it. Your decision to hold the church responsible because it asks members to pay tithes and fast offerings strikes me as rather irrational.
That's why they hold bonds. I say they have a bond vote in Utah County. See how they feel about people freezing to death and let it be written in the book of Life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #52
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's why they hold bonds. I say they have a bond vote in Utah County. See how they feel about people freezing to death and let it be written in the book of Life.
The key is to add the trolling posts near the top of the thread - not at the bottom of it.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 AM   #53
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam just curious if you are so worried about humanitarian aid and helping the homeless, why are you on the board at all? Shouldnt you be out collecting coats and food for the upcoming winter? Or do you only care about the homeless when it helps your political agenda or proves a point against the church that you are on the verge of apostasizing from?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Adam just curious if you are so worried about humanitarian aid and helping the homeless, why are you on the board at all? Shouldnt you be out collecting coats and food for the upcoming winter? Or do you only care about the homeless when it helps your political agenda or proves a point against the church that you are on the verge of apostasizing from?
Why is every person that doesn't follow lock-step "yessir" on the verge of apostasy?

There are a heckuva lot more people on the verge of apostasy as a result of indifference.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #55
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why is every person that doesn't follow lock-step "yessir" on the verge of apostasy?

There are a heckuva lot more people on the verge of apostasy as a result of indifference.
i have never said archaea, you, or anyone else was. I believe that if Adam actually believes half the crap he posts he is well on his way to falling away from the church. If he is just trolling then fine we all do it.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #56
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

But when you spout "The age of ... revelation is over", you deny the very essence of what was inside that dogma box.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It honestly makes me sad that you take me this way.
Somehow accusing the Church of being indirectly responsible for the death of a homeless man, and re-arranging ward building architecture to better accommodate the Primary, just doesn't fall under the same heading for me.

But I'm weird that way.

By the way, I've never accused you of apostasy.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm not criticizing the church over the homeless shelter issue, though I do believe it is reasonable to criticize the church over the lack of its general community involvement (our Stake President had a speaker do exactly this as he stood on the stand--the female public relations person for the church in stake priesthood mtg). In Dallas, she asked around about the church getting involved in stuff, and it came out that we were not particularly wanted because we were 1) disorganized and 2) didn't follow through, 3) had the least involvement in community improvement.

What disappoints me is that a community that is overwhelmingly Mormon isn't doing something about homeless deaths (assuming it is true).

Why have a public hospital when people will use it? Why have a food bank, because it will just attract people who are goign hungry? Why have shelter for the homeless, if homeless will come to use the shelter?

I can't imagine Christ feeling this way, and it is obvious that the private sector (so ballyhooed by anti-govt. libertarians and conservatives) is not stepping up with charity to make this happen.

For shame, Utah County. You are even more disgusting and hypocritical than I thought.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #59
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not criticizing the church over the homeless shelter issue, though I do believe it is reasonable to criticize the church over the lack of its general community involvement (our Stake President had a speaker do exactly this as he stood on the stand--the female public relations person for the church in stake priesthood mtg). In Dallas, she asked around about the church getting involved in stuff, and it came out that we were not particularly wanted because we were 1) disorganized and 2) didn't follow through, 3) had the least involvement in community improvement.

What disappoints me is that a community that is overwhelmingly Mormon isn't doing something about homeless deaths (assuming it is true).

Why have a public hospital when people will use it? Why have a food bank, because it will just attract people who are goign hungry? Why have shelter for the homeless, if homeless will come to use the shelter?

I can't imagine Christ feeling this way, and it is obvious that the private sector (so ballyhooed by anti-govt. libertarians and conservatives) is not stepping up with charity to make this happen.

For shame, Utah County. You are even more disgusting and hypocritical than I thought.
Very well stated.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #60
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Very well stated.
Is it just me, or is this just the latest vehicle du jour for people to express their Utah-County-angst?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote