cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default The Jesus and Mary Chain in OC

For those who know little about me (which would be mostly everyone on this site), one of my hobbies is music...and in particular, going to shows.

Last night I was able to catch one of my favorites from back in high school, The Jesus and Mary Chain. They played a late gig at the House of Blues in Anaheim and put on a great show. This time around, they all got along and did not break up, which is nice.

For those who are fans, here was last night's setlist. I like to write down the setlist on my blackberry throughout the show. I like coming home and making a playlist of every show I attend so that I can listen to them on my ipod later.

Never Understand
Head On
Far Gone & Out
Catchfire
Sidewalking
Snakedriver
Dead End Kids
Happy When It Rains
Some Candy Talking
Between Planets
Blues From a Gun
Cracking Up
All Things Must Pass
Teenage Lust
Sometimes Always (no Hope Sandoval duet, unfortunately. Instead, Miranda lee Richards sung, who has also done guest vocals for Brian Jonestown Massacre. Sounded great, but not as good as Hope)
Just Like Honey
Vegetable Man
You Trip Me Up
Darklands
Nine Million Rainy Days
Reverence

Any other fans of the Chain out there?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 10-23-2007 at 11:56 PM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Psychocandy on vinyl and at one time had Darklands on cassette - long gone by now. The only track I have digitally is "Just Like Honey". It's been some time since I listened to a lot of them. I seem to remember "Happy When It Rains" was in a Chevy commercial a few years back; I thought that was odd.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

You are correct. It is happy when it rains. I am not sure what it is about car commercials that causes many bands to sell out, including Ozzy (Mitsubishi Montero), The Specials (Jaguar), The Clash (Nissan and Jaguar), The Ramones (Nissan) and Trio (Volkswagen).

Psychocandy and Darklands are their two best, by far. Although I am sentimental for Automatic.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You are correct. It is happy when it rains. I am not sure what it is about car commercials that causes many bands to sell out, including Ozzy (Mitsubishi Montero), The Specials (Jaguar), The Clash (Nissan and Jaguar), The Ramones (Nissan) and Trio (Volkswagen).

Psychocandy and Darklands are their two best, by far. Although I am sentimental for Automatic.
I think there are two contributing factor to this phenomenon. One, most of the people making commercials are now our age and like being nostalgic. Two, it's cheaper to buy the rights from smaller acts and indie bands vs. majors acts on major labels.

It was a sad day when I heard The The's "This is the Day" being used to sell Dockers and M&Ms. Sad, indeed.

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 10-24-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
It was a sad day when I heard The The's "This is the Day" being used to sell Dockers and M&Ms. Sad, indeed.
What about East bay Ray, Klaus Flouride, and Ted suing Jello to be able to use Holiday in Cambodia for a Dockers commercial?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

you can add the Pogues (Cadillac) to that tragic list

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
Morningwood too. (Mazda)

Something I never thought my friend Pete Yanowitz would do. But now that he's rich, maybe he'll give me a really nice plasma HDTV for a gift, so I'm ok with it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Morningwood too.
A band called Morning Wood?

Who were their influences? The Dickies? The Pooh Sticks? CC Peniston?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
I must confess I like Iggy's "I am a punk rocker yes I am" Cadillac spot. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but it's a new song, so maybe not.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #10
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For those who know little about me (which would be mostly everyone on this site), one of my hobbies is music...and in particular, going to shows.

Last night I was able to catch one of my favorites from back in high school, The Jesus and Mary Chain. They played a late gig at the House of Blues in Anaheim and put on a great show. This time around, they all got along and did not break up, which is nice.

For those who are fans, here was last night's setlist. I like to write down the setlist on my blackberry throughout the show. I like coming home and making a playlist of every show I attend so that I can listen to them on my ipod later.

Never Understand
Head On
Far Gone & Out
Catchfire
Sidewalking
Snakedriver
Dead End Kids
Happy When It Rains
Some Candy Talking
Between Planets
Blues From a Gun
Cracking Up
All Things Must Pass
Teenage Lust
Sometimes Always (no Hope Sandoval duet, unfortunately. Instead, Miranda lee Richards sung, who has also done guest vocals for Brian Jonestown Massacre. Sounded great, but not as good as Hope)
Just Like Honey
Vegetable Man
You Trip Me Up
Darklands
Nine Million Rainy Days
Reverence

Any other fans of the Chain out there?
hey, is it true the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club models their sound after Jesus and Mary Chain?

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote