cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthesian View Post
I'm gay and Mormon. I don't support the position the church takes on this subject. I have been with my partner for 3 years and we have a gospel and Christ centered relationship.

The suicides of gay Mormons is unexcusable. I take something that a former bishop once said very seriously: "Any moral standard or principle that drives a child of God to do harm to another or to him/herself is no moral standard". This means that "To the One", and "For the Young Men Only" no longer stand up to the true teachings of Christ.

I believe this is one aspect of life that the General Authorities are getting wrong.

My partner and I love the Lord and do the best we can to serve him.

I appreciate the honesty and willingness of members of this board to express them selves so bluntly.

Dwayne
Welcome! Thanks for taking the time to post. I think your point of view will be a valuable one on this site.

If you are so inclined, there's an introduction category.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm gay and Mormon. I don't support the position the church takes on this subject. I have been with my partner for 3 years and we have a gospel and Christ centered relationship.

The suicides of gay Mormons is unexcusable. I take something that a former bishop once said very seriously: "Any moral standard or principle that drives a child of God to do harm to another or to him/herself is no moral standard". This means that "To the One", and "For the Young Men Only" no longer stand up to the true teachings of Christ.

I believe this is one aspect of life that the General Authorities are getting wrong.

My partner and I love the Lord and do the best we can to serve him.

I appreciate the honesty and willingness of members of this board to express them selves so bluntly.

Dwayne
Wow. Fascinating story. Keep posting. I'm a little skeptical just because your story so far sounds unbelievable if your ward remotely resembles my ward, but I'm glad it's a good situation for you.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
You are blessed with a very loving family, ward, and neighborhood. Congrats on the two little girls! Where are the girls from?

My wife is pregnant and we're hoping to high heaven that it's a little girl.
Thank you!
The girls are from Chicago. They were abandoned. We are excited.

Dwayne
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Wow. Fascinating story. Keep posting. I'm a little skeptical just because your story so far sounds unbelievable if your ward remotely resembles my ward, but I'm glad it's a good situation for you.
I understand your skepticism. It didn't start out as nice as it is now. The original Bishop when we moved into the ward asked us not to attend as a couple at all. It took a while for the ward members to actually take the time to get to know us. I'm glad it changed. I'm very grateful.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand your skepticism. It didn't start out as nice as it is now. The original Bishop when we moved into the ward asked us not to attend as a couple at all. It took a while for the ward members to actually take the time to get to know us. I'm glad it changed. I'm very grateful.

Dwayne
That's good. I would love to see all wards in the church react this way to "sinners". Quote marks because I think the terms is somewhat absurd being that we are all sinners.

Are you under formal discipline from the church? How are you allowed to bear testimony and participate otherwise in callings and meetings?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

Dwayne
Dwayne,

Welcome hermano.

Please post here very often. There are those here who will welcome you and your partner. Are you guys BYU football fans or Utah football fans? How did you find this site?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That's good. I would love to see all wards in the church react this way to "sinners". Quote marks because I think the terms is somewhat absurd being that we are all sinners.

Are you under formal discipline from the church? How are you allowed to bear testimony and participate otherwise in callings and meetings?
Since we have been excommunicated for about a year and half, our bishop has recently allowed us to bear testimony as non members. We can engage in discussion in Sunday School and Elder's Quorum but nothing beyond that. No callings.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

When the old bishop asked you not to attend as a couple, how did you handle that? Did you attend separate wards? Did you attend the same ward, but sit in different places? Did you not attend?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Dwayne,

Welcome hermano.

Please post here very often. There are those here who will welcome you and your partner. Are you guys BYU football fans or Utah football fans? How did you find this site?

I found the site while googling for Paul Toscano's "All Is Not Well In Zion: False Teachings of the True Church".

He is a BYU fan and I'm a Utah fan. When our respective teams play eachother we sit on opposite sides of the couch. We're dorks...I know. But I love him.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Dwayne
Does it seem odd that our buildings say "Visitors Welcome", yet this Bishop asked you to not attend as a couple? Or when you say "as a couple" did that only mean you could attend but without showing any signs of affection?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote