cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Interesting question. Should we screen literature of this type? What about TV crap like the Disney channel. It tends to be very careful about avoiding sexit or racist plots and dialogue, but man does it serve up a heaping pile of steaming crap for kids. I cetainly acknowledge the themes of many fairy tales are not modern ones, but I am not sure avoiding the fairy tales is the answer.
See, I was thinking this yesterday.

The themes that RHG and I mentioned permeate every aspect of our society. So while sure, we can throw out Snow White, it doesn't prevent our kids from seeing the four dozen magazine covers at the grocery checkout, every one of which features an airbrushed woman on the front, or the commercials that come on in between the Disney Channel shows, in which twelve year old girls are dolled up in leopard print and gogo boots, or the reality shows in which women compete against each other for the hand of prince charming. The messages we disagree with are out there everywhere. The key is not to hide from them, it's to point out what we disagree with and why.

That doesn't change the fact that I can't stand Snow White -- Grimm or Disney.

Incidentally, this thread reminds me of that weird movie about the Grimm brothers. That was too bizarre.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote