cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car camping in utah?

I believe that's the correct terminology... don't want to hike, just want to drive into the woods and set up camp. anyone have any good places for an overnight camp with some bathroom facilities nearby... not too important, but would be nice to have. I'm trying to get my wife into camping and I'm close to getting her to commit to an overnighter. I just have to find a place that's reasonably close and organized.. We live near the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon, but would be willing to go through American Fork canyon or wherever.... Thanks!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a campground just east of Timpanogos Cave that is a nice place for an overnighter. I go there with my kids quite a bit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
There is a campground just east of Timpanogos Cave that is a nice place for an overnighter. I go there with my kids quite a bit.
Cool thanks.. i found this website about camping in Happy Valley if anyone is interested...

http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=3014

Here is the one for Salt Lake

http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=4
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
What activities do your kids like to do when there? I've never been down there..

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I believe that's the correct terminology... don't want to hike, just want to drive into the woods and set up camp. anyone have any good places for an overnight camp with some bathroom facilities nearby... not too important, but would be nice to have. I'm trying to get my wife into camping and I'm close to getting her to commit to an overnighter. I just have to find a place that's reasonably close and organized.. We live near the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon, but would be willing to go through American Fork canyon or wherever.... Thanks!
The obvious answer is the Natl Parks (Zion, Bryce Canyon). Don't know what is set up in Escalante, but that is a beautifull area. Maybe not close enuf for you??

A neat little park for car camping is Goblin Valley in Capitol Reef area near Hanksville. Its a State Park.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
The obvious answer is the Natl Parks (Zion, Bryce Canyon). Don't know what is set up in Escalante, but that is a beautifull area. Maybe not close enuf for you??

A neat little park for car camping is Goblin Valley in Capitol Reef area near Hanksville. Its a State Park.
Escalante rocks. My dad grew up there and I spent many a summer day down that way. Calf Creek on Boulder Mountain between Escalante and Boulder is a great place to camp.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 05-07-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
What activities do your kids like to do when there? I've never been down there..
We go fishing at Tibble Fork (it's a nice little reservoir that is perfect for kids) and we do a bit of hiking. If you've never been to the cave, I'd suggest to do so. It's an easy hike. You can take your bikes and ride farther up the canyon toward the Alpine Loop.

It's a nice, relaxing place.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post

That sounds fun! I've been to Goblin Valley before and that was awesome! I think that'll have to be something we do later in life though.. I'm just looking for a short drive to the campground and a quick overnighter. I've got to make it easy, quick and simple for the woman just starting out so she enjoys it. I blew it with the tailgating thing with her... Hopefully this will be something that she'll have fun with.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
bYuPride

Quote:
We go fishing at Tibble Fork (it's a nice little reservoir that is perfect for kids) and we do a bit of hiking. If you've never been to the cave, I'd suggest to do so. It's an easy hike. You can take your bikes and ride farther up the canyon toward the Alpine Loop.

It's a nice, relaxing place.
We'll definitely have to hike up to the cave as she nor I have been up there... plus she likes hiking anyway and if it's easier, then great! The bike ride sounds like a fun activity and she has like fishing with me in the past... Thank you for your ideas.

As far as making reservations for a site? Do I just pay when I get there? What if a few other couples want to come with us? Do we pay by the car? Sorry... the only campouts I've been on where scout camps and up at my parents old farmhouse they used to own in Cache Valley.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
bYuPride

here's another good website for hiking in utah..

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lID=HGS338-014

"I'm on my beater bike"