cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids shows

OK, here is my ranking of the best under 6 kids shows on television:

1. Spongebob Squarepants--Seriously, this show rocks. It is also on about 12 hours a day on Nickelodeon.

2. Animanics--I love this show. Very funny stuff. They actually had a bit about the Warner brother kids going to Iraq (this was back in 1993) and talking to Hussein and pissing him off.

Thats about it...the Backyardigans can be clever as well.

Holy crap, I am 33 years old and I am talking about what kid shows are funny. I do refuse to let my kid ever watch an episode of Teletubbies or Barney.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

SpongeBob rocks. I think it is one of the funnies shows on tv today.

There's a show on the Disney channel called "The Koala Brothers" that is great. My 4 year old loves it.

I have to put in a good word for Blues Clues for the educational qualities.

Boomerang has quite a few of the cartoons that I grew up with - Magilla Gorilla, Huckleberry Hound, Quickdraw McGraw, The Pink Panther, Scooby-Doo, etc. Good times.

Ok, Boomerang is my guilty tv viewing pleasure, but my kids love it too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

1. Spongebob Squarepants--Seriously, this show rocks. It is also on about 12 hours a day on Nickelodeon.

2. Animanics--I love this show. Very funny stuff. They actually had a bit about the Warner brother kids going to Iraq (this was back in 1993) and talking to Hussein and pissing him off.

Holy crap, I am 33 years old and I am talking about what kid shows are funny. I do refuse to let my kid ever watch an episode of Teletubbies or Barney.

We're going on a trip in our favorite rocket ship... zooming throught the sky

Little einsteins....(I have bad dreams about that song)
Old 02-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm generally pleased with most of the programming aimed at kids these days. But most of the films aimed at kids/families are horrible.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Animaniacs is a great show! I didn't realize you could even find it on TV anymore (which is what happens when you only get 5 channels and two of them are in Spanish).
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I like SpongeBob. The Backyardigans is OK except for that crazy song/melody gets into my head and I can't get it out. Blues clues isn't too bad for the 3-4 year olds. I don't mind Dora although I don't understand the purpose of the Big Red Chicken.

Lame shows:
Cat-dog (what the hell is that?)

Shows I absolutely won't let my kids watch:
- Rugrats (If my kids acted like that I would be giving ev would give every one of them a whipping with my belt)
- Telletubbies (OK, maybe for a kid < 18 mo. old but this show is so stupid that I won't let my kids watch it once they turn 2. Fortunately, all of my kids have outgrown it)
- Whoopies Littleburg - (Aside from the fact that it is completely lame, just having Whoopie Goldberg in it is reason enough to ban it)

My older girls (11, 9) are starting to like a lot of that "tweener" stuff. I don't know the names of those kind of shows - they all look like variations of "Saved By the Bell" to me.

When I was a kid, I was allowed to watch Sesame Street but not Electric Company. I don't know why Electric Company was outlawed.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

When I was a kid, I was allowed to watch Sesame Street but not Electric Company. I don't know why Electric Company was outlawed.
SAME!!

I finally found out the reason for the Electric Co (great U2 song) ban was the Spiderman bits sent me and my bro's into a mass fight that ended with crying and destruction of furniture.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

My daugther is 14 months so her attention span is as short as it gets. However the following shows keep her attention for hours on end.

1. Baby Einstein videos/Little Einstein- i dont know what it is but she will watch those videos or the cartoon over and over, and cry when we shut it off, it is a great babysitter

2. Sagwa- the chinese siamese cat, I hate he theme song as it sticks in my head for days at a time

3. The Good Night Show- on sprout TV, this crazy lady talks to a star the whole time and she wears the same clothes every night.

Runnersup: Backyardigans, Berenstain Bears, Mickeys playhouse (these shows keep her attention for a few minutes anyways)
Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Barney and Teletubbies. That puts me in the minority it looks like. I really like Barney's message.

My daughter loves videos of the Care Bears. She also loves to watch episodes of Rocky and Bullwinle that we got and DVD, and the Muppet Show. Now that is good stuff.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I like Barney and Teletubbies.
Stinky Pinky, Dipstick, Loser, and PooPoo are my names for the Teletubbies (Tinky Winky, Dipsy, LaaLaa, Po). You are definitely in the minority if you like Tubbies.

The first time I saw that vacuum cleaner thingy I thought the show was completly lame. However, it wasn't until after I saw the tubbies hold their stomachs like an alien was about to burst out then receive a TV transmission on the set embedded into their bellies that I decided to ban it in our house for anyone 2 years old and up.

I don't mind the smiling sunshine baby though.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote