cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trinidad and Tobago ties Sverige

Hislop did a great job.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I just watched this whole game. I am reminded once again that soccer sucks. Please see the below list.

1. It was a tie game. One team is happy and cheering, the other team stunned and disappointed. We just went ninety plus minutes with neither team being able to score. YAWN.

2. Soccer players are the worst floppers and actors of any sport I have seen. These guys writhe in agony after falling to the ground, then thirty seconds later they are up and running around like normal. What a bunch of bull.

3. The game is so arbitrary. The refs call the game whenever they feel like its over after extra time over the ninety minutes? LAME. The subbing was arbitrary too. When the ref "feels" like its ok to sub, he will wave someone on?

4. Tridinad player gets a bull crap red card, and so Trinidad has to play the whole second half a man down? Terrible. Sure eject the guy if he deserved it, but force a team to play a whole half one man down? I guess since its such a slow and sucky game, missing a player doesnt really matter much.

Feel free to add to this list.

Thank God for American sports like basketball and real football. It is no wonder soccer has never caught on here. Its a game for elementary school kids and thats about it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

boy that's tough.. good job T&T, but Sweden threw away their "gimme"

Heja Sverige!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I just watched this whole game. I am reminded once again that soccer sucks. Please see the below list.

1. It was a tie game. One team is happy and cheering, the other team stunned and disappointed. We just went ninety plus minutes with neither team being able to score. YAWN.
Then you don't understand the significance of that tie. T&T, the smallest country EVER to qualify for the World Cup facing a soccer power of sweden. Sweden is full of players who play in the EPL, the Bundisligua and Serie A. It's like an NFL team facing an NFL Europe team and the Euorpe team holding it to a tie.

I'm still lost on this fascination with scoring. Why the need. What is it that we NEED a score? that match (and remember, i didn't watch soccer a year ago) was both outstanding and breathtaking. T&T's keeper was outstanding and for T&T to play a man down and come off with a tie....

it was an upset and yes it was 0-0. I loved it.

Quote:
2. Soccer players are the worst floppers and actors of any sport I have seen. These guys writhe in agony after falling to the ground, then thirty seconds later they are up and running around like normal. What a bunch of bull.
Every sport has floppers. Try taking a shin against your unprotected shin and see how you enjoy it. There was one swede i wanted to kick in the face because of his "agony" but that's part of the sport. You're playing Euros who think they need to act.

Next time i see someone flop in basketball, I'll remember your thoughts about it.

Quote:
3. The game is so arbitrary. The refs call the game whenever they feel like its over after extra time over the ninety minutes? LAME. The subbing was arbitrary too. When the ref "feels" like its ok to sub, he will wave someone on?
and yet you know who is always in control. Officials in the NBA should learn a lesson or two about how to ref.
Think of the ref as a judge. that pitch is his court room and he is...you honor. You don't yell at him, you have to ask to get back on the pitch. He's in control.

The ref has the game clock on his hand he is continually stopping for injury time or for stoppage of play. about a minute before the match goes to half or ends, the 4th official will display how much extra time will be added.

Last time I checked you had to check with Umpires for batting changes/pitching changes, you had to check with officials and they had to wave you in during basketball games.

Quote:
4. Tridinad player gets a bull crap red card, and so Trinidad has to play the whole second half a man down? Terrible. Sure eject the guy if he deserved it, but force a team to play a whole half one man down? I guess since its such a slow and sucky game, missing a player doesnt really matter much.
Rules of soccer: 1 yellow card, nothing. 2 yellow cards = red card = ejection. Both of those tackles could have been ruled dangerous play (he had his cleats up both times, a no no in soccer). 2 things happen when a team goes a man down: 1. the team with 10 men bond, become stronger and play better (add a couple of amazing saves by the keeper) and you come out with a result (1 point in the standings). 2. you get worked by the opposing team.
Wouldn't the NBA just seem better if after the 6th foul, you played down a man? Wouldn't the game move more fluidly. Less stoppage for foul shots.

Thank heavens for soccer becaus I would kill myself if all there was available was baseball. I can't see why people love watching men stand around waiting for something to happen for 3+hours. ohhhh they scored. bit deal. There's still a lot of 1-0, 2-0 yet I don't see anyone complaining.

there are two type of soccer observers: 1. the person who looks at it and just sees people kicking a ball back and forth.

2. the person who understand's footy's nuances, strategies and game plan. who enjoys the build up, the run of play, the amazing free kick.

Think of it this way: baseball, football, basketball. It's a man's version of sex. It's nothing but scoring. That's the attitude.

Soccer is more the women's perception. There's foreplay and a buildup and once there's a goal....it's orgasmic.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Colly Wolly

Well Fuegote, all of your above simply mean to me that you like the game for the same reasons I dislike it.

I say the less chance that a ref has to influence the outcome of a game, the better. They should not be involved in who wins or loses. You must love Dick Bavetta.

Please do remember my comments the next time you see an NBA player flop. Observe whether or not he writhes around on the floor like a hurt baby, then is up and running again like nothing is wrong after 30 seconds. NBA players flop to draw charges, but they dont feign pain the way these soccer players do.

NBA players hide pain, look at Wade, do you see him rolling around on the floor whining after getting knocked down? He is down for a second to catch his breath, then up and running with more determination.

I am glad soccer is orgasmic for you.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 06-11-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Well Fuegote, all of your above simply mean to me that you like the game for the same reasons I dislike it.

I say the less chance that a ref has to influence the outcome of a game, the better. They should not be involved in who wins or loses. You must love Dick Bavetta.

Please do remember my comments the next time you see an NBA player flop. Observe whether or not he writhes around on the floor like a hurt baby, then is up and running again like nothing is wrong after 30 seconds. NBA players flop to draw charges, but they dont feign pain the way these soccer players do.

NBA players hide pain, look at Wade, do you see him rolling around on the floor whining after getting knocked down? He is down for a second to catch his breath, then up and running with more determination.

I am glad soccer is orgasmic for you.
The ref had no say in giving the yellow card. It was the player who made the hard tackle, it was the player who did it twice, it was the player who knew he was already under the yellow card. it was his choice not the official's. there are rules the official has to follow.

you think nba officials don't have a say in what happens? LOL! The NBA is almost as bad as the WWE. Stars get the call. Listen, I get it, you don't like soccer, but please (and this goes for all) keep those feelings to yourself.

I hate baseball (man that ump doesn't have a say in who stays and who goes, what's a strike and what's a ball. Yup, the soccer refs are the only one's who do this) but I don't mention my hate for it every time someone posts about it.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Red cards come not because of fouls, but because of flagrant fouls. I think it's great that the team then plays a man down. Knowing what the punishment will be, players are less likely to play maliciously. I think Rasheed Wallace would think twice about flagrantly fouling someone if he knew the punishment would not be some small fine that amounts to beans, but rather his entire team and fan base would be pissed off at him.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Red cards come not because of fouls, but because of flagrant fouls. I think it's great that the team then plays a man down. Knowing what the punishment will be, players are less likely to play maliciously. I think Rasheed Wallace would think twice about flagrantly fouling someone if he knew the punishment would not be some small fine that amounts to beans, but rather his entire team and fan base would be pissed off at him.
100% correct. Whenever you slide with both cleets up...that's a flagrant foul.

but don't try and explain it to him 4ever, soccer haters will remain Jim Rome wannabe soccer haters. They would much rather see men stand in the outfield popping HGH and overpayed basketball players who lack basic fundamentals and football....

now football I can't disagree. I love that sport. unfortunately there's not a world tournament since only the US plays football (i know NFL Europe but those are mostly americans as well). All I can say about football is it's 5 seconds of action with a 35 second break in between.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
The ref had no say in giving the yellow card. It was the player who made the hard tackle, it was the player who did it twice, it was the player who knew he was already under the yellow card. it was his choice not the official's. there are rules the official has to follow.

you think nba officials don't have a say in what happens? LOL! The NBA is almost as bad as the WWE. Stars get the call. Listen, I get it, you don't like soccer, but please (and this goes for all) keep those feelings to yourself.

I hate baseball (man that ump doesn't have a say in who stays and who goes, what's a strike and what's a ball. Yup, the soccer refs are the only one's who do this) but I don't mention my hate for it every time someone posts about it.
Sorry your "sport" sucks. I'll try not to hurt your feelings about it again.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
fuegote

fuegote

Hey, you like to watch cheeters, I'll watch floppers.

and please, someone help explain why baseball is called a sport.

My feelings aren't hurt but you sound very narrowminded every time soccer is brought up.

sorry none of your arguements had any substance.