cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #61
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Wow, to conflate my admission of lack of consistency with and admission of absurdity is quite the misreading. That is pretty revealing. Might we say, "it speaks volume."

btw: I don't think the trinity is absurd either (I actually think it is pretty cool).
While still finding it not something I believe in, I have come to apprecaite the traditional chrisitan view of the trinity and the effort to write it down. It is a great example of an effort to articaulte the inarticulable, to describe the indescribeable. COming to an understandiogn of the nature and essence of God and the Eternal cuts so closely to our spiritual core that we struggle to define it with our limited temproal abilities. The non-verbal comprehension of some of these truths (a 'grok' for all you Heinlein fans) simply cannot be described verbally (especaily without some on the spot prophetic gudiance).

I think they missed the mark, but I appreciate their efforts.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #62
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
btw: I don't think the trinity is absurd either (I actually think it is pretty cool).
I meant absurd only in the sense of Christ seemingly playing the ventriloquist or talking to himself when addressing God or the Father. I should have said the LDS godhead is much more absurd because it lacks elegance and internal coherance and textual consistency if Christ is the Father or God of the OT.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 AM   #63
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe I mispoke; I agree with what you wrote: you framed the issue nicely. I should have written that I think the question was worth talking about but I just didn't have much to add.
I see, didn't mean to single you out.