cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joseph Smith on the Holy Ghost

I've been doing a little investigating of Joseph Smith's teachings about the Holy Ghost, and came across something unusual. The following is from Franklin D. Richards' notes on Joseph Smith's Aug. 27, 1843 sermon in Nauvoo. According to Richards, Joseph Smith taught:

"That the Holy Ghost is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or similar course of things that the Son has."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I've been doing a little investigating of Joseph Smith's teachings about the Holy Ghost, and came across something unusual. The following is from Franklin D. Richards' notes on Joseph Smith's Aug. 27, 1843 sermon in Nauvoo. According to Richards, Joseph Smith taught:

"That the Holy Ghost is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or similar course of things that the Son has."
Where did you find that? That's fascinating.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I believe it's in the Words of Joseph Smith, though I don't have my copy handy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"We don't talk about that or think about it or preach it. It's in the past."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where did you find that? That's fascinating.
Van Hale wrote an interesting article on "I am Liberal in My Sentiments Towards All Men: Exploring the Mind Of Joseph Smith on Diversity Among the Saints" in the December 2006 Sunstone. That article is a treasure trove of quotes. Hale give the source as Words of Joseph Smith, 245.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 08-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I look at sorting through some of these early church quotes/teachings like a Bayesian optimization problem. You plug in all the data, which includes the scriptures, the other teachings of the early church, and the teachings today. There's no exact fit. But there's an optimization that creates the most likely view of correct doctrine.

My accepted view is to completely reject some of the early church statements, like this one, and write it off with the explanation that they were hitting and missing on what they were receiving as pure revelation from God, which God has since helped them straighten out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

makes sense to me. HG as a a kind of office. Filled by spirits in the spirit world, who are on their way to ressurection, Godhood, etc.

Of course, to some Mormons, theosis is a lie.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I look at sorting through some of these early church quotes/teachings like a Bayesian optimization problem. You plug in all the data, which includes the scriptures, the other teachings of the early church, and the teachings today. There's no exact fit. But there's an optimization that creates the most likely view of correct doctrine.

My accepted view is to completely reject some of the early church statements, like this one, and write it off with the explanation that they were hitting and missing on what they were receiving as pure revelation from God, which God has since helped them straighten out.
My goal in this instance is to get a better sense of Joseph's views, and how they changed, and how they interacted with other teachings at the time.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Putting this JS quote together with Alma 7:12-13 is a real mind bender:

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
"We don't talk about that or think about it or preach it. It's in the past."

I think you mean "I don't know that we teach that".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote