cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #61
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

Many people make it in this country with less help from the government (though never with no help from the government). That doesn't mean that everyone can.
Got a link to back up your claims?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #62
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Other than logic?
Logic isn't good enough for you so why should it be good enough for the rest of us
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #63
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Ok, I'll concede that people without the funds do need to be able to apply for grants and student loans.

I see now that I was unclear in my comments. When I say that there is no reason for anyone in this country to not be successful, I mean that they need to get of their asses and do whatever they have to do to be successful. How many people are not willing to get a high school education and then do all the necessary work to get student loans or grants? Those are the ones I'm talking about.

I earned my education paid for with baseball by countless hours in a batting cage and busting my hiney in catcher's gear and getting behind the plate to have thousands and thousands of baseballs thrown in the dirt to learn how to block the ball. Nobody in the government helped me do that. I did what I had to do to get to the point of trading baseball for an education and then busted my ass in school to get through in 3 years instead of 4. I then went to a private mortuary school and worked full time away from school in order to not have student loan debts after I finished.

If that makes me arrogant, so be it. I just don't understand how people underestimate what others do in order to "make it on their own". Perhaps we have different definitions of what that is?
I'm also late to the party here, but I'll add another twist. Besides these comments, which are great, I'll add that no one who works hard at a minimum wage job stays there forever anyway.

Even as a fast food employee, if you work hard and apply yourself, you can move up the ranks without much difficulty. You don't have to go to college to make a good wage--it may take longer to get there, but heck, isn't college at least 4 years?

Minimum wage is a tax on employers which gets passed on to consumers, all just to give a few teenagers the chance to download a few more iTunes songs. Some of you might remember my minimum wage posts from CB ... I have a good friend who's a restauranteur and he can tell you stories about where the rubber meets the road.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #64
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Logic isn't good enough for you so why should it be good enough for the rest of us
Because this one literally is just logic.

"Many people make it in this country with less help from the government (though never with no help from the government). That doesn't mean that everyone can."

The first part of my statement was "many people make it in this country with less help from the government (though never with no help from the government)." You appear to have agreed with that portion of my argument earlier on, so I assume you aren't asking for a link to support that portion.

That would suggest you want a link to support the second part. The second part is simply a logical truth (it may be easier for you to see as a logical fallacy- if some people can do something, then all people can do something). Logically, that simply isn't true.

You are asking me for a link to something that isn't debatable, like 2+2=4.

YOUR argument isn't logic. Your argument is nothing more than guesswork (you seem to have asserted otherwise, so I asked you for a citation to support your assertion which you cannot provide).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #65
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Minimum wage is a tax on employers which gets passed on to consumers, all just to give a few teenagers the chance to download a few more iTunes songs. Some of you might remember my minimum wage posts from CB ... I have a good friend who's a restauranteur and he can tell you stories about where the rubber meets the road.
very good Tex. now apply that same logic to illegal immigration, and tell us what the results are.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:29 AM   #66
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I would like to quote from the ever genius in this matter and from the movie "ROCKY BALBOA".....

"Let me tell ya something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you think you are, it will beat to your knees and keep ya there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.

But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winnin is done!

Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin you ain't where you wanna be, cause him, her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! But until you start believin in yourself....you ain't gonna have a life."
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #67
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I would like to quote from the ever genius in this matter and from the movie "ROCKY BALBOA".....

"Let me tell ya something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you think you are, it will beat to your knees and keep ya there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.

But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winnin is done!

Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin you ain't where you wanna be, cause him, her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! But until you start believin in yourself....you ain't gonna have a life."
[music]

Gonna fly, now......

[/music]

Terrific words of wisdom. Well said, Rocky. (Not Sly's character but the gentle poster Rocky)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote