cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #71
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
? Read the quote -not the misquoting:

"Should God speak to you, and ask you to do something that might be in conflict with your duties as president, or should He speak to your prophet who would speak to you, how would you make that decision, how would you handle that?" reporter Natalie Jacobson asks.

Romney laughs and then replies, "Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the [burning] bush, or perhaps some OTHERS, but, but I don't have that frequent of communication."

He is talking about himself. NOT the church, not Joseph Smith, not Gordon B Hinckley -but others presume he is speaking about those people because it profits them to create controversy!
I am not misquoting him. Instead of highlighting the words you selected, let's try some others:

"Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the [burning] bush, or perhaps some OTHERS, but, but I don't have that frequent of communication."

You are trying to ignore over half of the sentence to focus on what you want to see. What he did say involved two different premises: 1. Mitt hasn't spoken with God. 2. Neither has anyone else he can remember except for Moses (and PERHAPS some others).

Your habit of parsing phrases is getting you into a bind here.

Would it be accurate of me to say the following (assuming I were a history professor at Harvard):

I haven't fought in a battle; nobody has fought in a battle, that I can recall, other than the ancient Greeks, and perhaps some others, but I haven't fought in a battle.

What do you think people would say about a quote like that?

By the way, I noticed you helped Mitt out by inserting [burning] in front of bush. Nice of you to do. But what if he ACTUALLY meant to say "Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the Bush?" That might fit more in line here...

Last edited by Cali Coug; 12-26-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #72
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

By the way, I would note that voting for Romney because he is Mormon is as dumb as voting for Hillary because she is a woman, Obama because he is African-American, or Huckabee because he is an evangelical. It is equally silly to vote against any of them on those premises alone.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #73
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
By the way, I would note that voting for Romney because he is Mormon is as dumb as voting for Hillary because she is a woman, Obama because he is African-American, or Huckabee because he is an evangelical. It is equally silly to vote against any of them on those premises alone.
Wrong again. Voting for or against someone because of religious faith is not on the same ethical plane as doing so for an imutable characteristic like race or gender. Religious faith can and often does affect a leader's decisions and acts. I would vote against Huckabee in part because of his egregious religious faith.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #74
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree and that isn't the reason I am voting for him. It bugs me when people claim that is the reason I am voting for him.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #75
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He's untroubled and probably bored by the issues that torment CGers who frequent the religion forum and would consider exchanging ideas about them to be a huge waste of time.
You just wrote my bio
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #76
tooblue

Quote:
I am not misquoting him. Instead of highlighting the words you selected, let's try some others:

"Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the [burning] bush, or perhaps some OTHERS, but, but I don't have that frequent of communication."

You are trying to ignore over half of the sentence to focus on what you want to see. What he did say involved two different premises: 1. Mitt hasn't spoken with God. 2. Neither has anyone else he can remember except for Moses (and PERHAPS some others).

Your habit of parsing phrases is getting you into a bind here.

Would it be accurate of me to say the following (assuming I were a history professor at Harvard):

I haven't fought in a battle; nobody has fought in a battle, that I can recall, other than the ancient Greeks, and perhaps some others, but I haven't fought in a battle.

What do you think people would say about a quote like that?

By the way, I noticed you helped Mitt out by inserting [burning] in front of bush. Nice of you to do. But what if he ACTUALLY meant to say "Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the Bush?" That might fit more in line here...
I pulled the quote from another on-line source -those are not my words. I highlighted what I did because YOU conveniently ignored them in the first place, so I cannot be accused of parsing when in fact I was offering the WHOLE (or more parts of the) story in place of your parsing

Last edited by tooblue; 12-26-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #77
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Being a Mormon liberal, my opinions are based on both my link to the almighty and my superior brain power.
okay that was funny

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #78
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Being a Mormon liberal, my opinions are based on both my link to the almighty and my superior brain power.
LOL
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #79
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I pulled the quote from another on-line source -those are not my words. I highlighted what I did because YOU conveniently ignored them in first place, so I cannot be accused of parsing when in fact I was offering the WHOLE story in place of your parsing
And the fact of the matter is WE don't have the WHOLE quote so we are all culpable of misquoting to one degree or another ... Until we get a transcript we don't know exactly what was said ... and that is my point -it's a fabricated controversy!