cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #101
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Could repeat that part about intellectual honesty again for me?
I don't know how you could read that article, or how you could look at the multiple abuses that have gone on in Abu Ghraib and elsewhere, and say this was a few miscreants.

That's the intellectual dishonesty. And no you don't need to reply to this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #102
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know how you could read that article, or how you could look at the multiple abuses that have gone on in Abu Ghraib and elsewhere, and say this was a few miscreants.

That's the intellectual dishonesty. And no you don't need to reply to this.
Ah, the old "If you don't agree with me, you're dishonest" tact followed up with a "I'm not going to listen to a response, so don't bother!"

That, sprinkled with a little "You favor torture" and you've got the Bad Debate Technique trifecta! Congrats, Mike.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #103
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We know who you are Tex. It doesn't matter what you say. We know who you are.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 AM   #104
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We know who you are Tex. It doesn't matter what you say. We know who you are.
Me too. I am a Child of God.

A mindless, hate-filled, venemous, wife-beating, civil-rights denying, torture-favoring, Nazi-espousing, condescending Child of God.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #105
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Me too. I am a Child of God.

A mindless, hate-filled, venemous, wife-beating, civil-rights denying, torture-favoring, Nazi-espousing, condescending Child of God.
I think in your case, "step-child of God" is still a working possibility.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #106
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I do not agree with Plessy, and I'm pleased women have the vote.
Here's my point. The suite of liberties enjoyed by Americans that cause you to pat yourself on the back as being a citizen of the most moral country in the history of the world didn't fully materialize for nearly two hundred years after the founding of our republic and accumulated gradually over time not to mention the long and winding road of the preceding centuries. I don't know why you suppose that 100 years ago you would have favored women obtaining the vote. Nothing you have said here suggests to me you would be so far sighted. America's civil rights record is still far from impeccable but what has been hard won by inches over centuries needs to be vigilently gaurded becuase it will be lost incrementally just the way it was won.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #107
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here's my point. The suite of liberties enjoyed by Americans that cause you to pat yourself on the back as being a citizen of the most moral country in the history of the world didn't fully materialize for nearly two hundred years after the founding of our republic and accumulated gradually over time not to mention the long and winding road of the preceding centuries. I don't know why you suppose that 100 years ago you would have favored women obtaining the vote. Nothing you have said here suggests to me you would be so far sighted. America's civil rights record is still far from impeccable but what has been hard won by inches over centuries needs to be vigilently gaurded becuase it will be lost incrementally just the way it was won.
Liberty and security must be balanced against one another. You and I simply disagree on where the line gets drawn.

PS. Even with all its flaws, the America of 200 years ago was still the most moral country in the history of the world. And I spend infinitely more time on my knees thanking God for my sacred privilege of citizenship than ever once patting myself on the back.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young