cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Yep he was one of the 3 guys who denied evolution at an earlier debate. I think that a Biblical literalist is the very last thing we need right now as a country.
Oddly enough, though, he responded to a question about if he believed every word in the Bible to be true, and he responded that much of the Bible is allegorical and not literal.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Oddly enough, though, he responded to a question about if he believed every word in the Bible to be true, and he responded that much of the Bible is allegorical and not literal.
But he has a degree in theology and NONE OF THE OTHER GUYS DO! I applauded from home when I heard that.

Actually when he finished that response my wife announced she had heard enough and wanted to watch something else (you will have to forgive her, however, as she trends democrat).
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
A token concession on a meaningless issue doesn't make him less of a literalist. Believing the creation story is literal despite all of the evidence against it makes one a literalist.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He's one of those morons who believes the earth is 6,000 years old...Oops, sorry. Never mind. Didn't mean to offend you.
Quote:
Yep he was one of the 3 guys who denied evolution at an earlier debate. I think that a Biblical literalist is the very last thing we need right now as a country.
I'm not offended (nor do I necessarily believe the earth 6,000 years old), but I'd like to see this belief tied to a meaningful public policy. IOW, what does this have to do with anything concerning the Presidency?

And if you say "it speaks to his lack of judgment" I shall be sorely disappointed in you.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not offended (nor do I necessarily believe the earth 6,000 years old), but I'd like to see this belief tied to a meaningful public policy. IOW, what does this have to do with anything concerning the Presidency?

And if you say "it speaks to his lack of judgment" I shall be sorely disappointed in you.
I don't want a moron for a president. Is that good enough? (I gave it a chance the past seven years and it has not been something I'd want to repeat.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't want a moron for a president. Is that good enough? (I gave it a chance the past seven years and it has not been something I'd want to repeat.)
As I thought. Disappointing, but not surprising. I suppose even intellectuals make presidential voting decisions on non-substantive matters.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I thought. Disappointing, but not surprising. I suppose even intellectuals make presidential voting decisions on non-substantive matters.
I think it's very substantial. Anyone who has looked at the evidence for even 5 minutes has realized that the earth is, at the very least, much older than 6000 years. Unless we are willing to assume that Huckabee is just that sheltered, his beliefs are the result of an active denial of reality. It is that very thing that played such a large role in getting us into Iraq, and it is a trait that can not need to good policy expect through dumb luck.

Or, "I don't want a moron for president" sums it up.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
I think it's very substantial. Anyone who has looked at the evidence for even 5 minutes has realized that the earth is, at the very least, much older than 6000 years. Unless we are willing to assume that Huckabee is just that sheltered, his beliefs are the result of an active denial of reality. It is that very thing that played such a large role in getting us into Iraq, and it is a trait that can not need to good policy expect through dumb luck.

Or, "I don't want a moron for president" sums it up.
You both answered as unconvincingly and vacantly as I predicted.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-29-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:49 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'd prefer the candidate who promises free skittles and m&m's to every citizen, which is about a hundred times more likely than abolishing the IRS.
Dangit, will you allow me to have what little hope I can muster?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My problem, Tex, is that it speaks to his lack of judgment.

Let me ask you this: Suppose a presidential candidate said that he/she believes that the world is flat? Would that bother you?